Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kittinger, Kindel, Henkel Harris, Stickley, Baker

Posted by nolefan_2006 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 23:40

We have a formal home and we're looking for pieces for our living room. The rest of our home is Henkel Harris. Our friend, an interior designer has suggested pieces from Kittinger or Kindel. We don't have any experience with these manufacturers. Can anyone out there tell me about their experiences with any of the manufacturers I've listed above? How to do they compare to Henkel Harris? Same, better or lesser quality?

Specifically, we're looking for newport style block and shell pieces (Sarah Slocum style and a secretary) as well as pembroke tables, a pie crust table, cocktail table, wingback chairs and an 84" sofa. We want pieces of excellent quality. Buy once and keep for a lifetime. Any suggestions for a very formal living room? Best sofas?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kittinger, Kindel, Henkel Harris, Stickley, Baker

We have several pieces of Kindel furniture, and all are of exceptional quality and design. Both our dining room buffet and china cabinet are Kindel, with a beautiful cherry finish that has certainly withstood the test of time--20+ years and counting. These pieces still look new. Also, we have a Kindel sofa in the living room. It was reupholstered once, not because of wear but--well, styles change! While the sofa doesn't get a lot of use (it's in our formal living room), it is still in excellent shape, with cushions still plump and comfortable. If they're still making furniture the same way, I would highly, highly recommend Kindel.

We also have some Baker tables. They are beautiful but have not held up as well (also in our formal living room, not a lot of wear on them). I'd put them in a tier or two below Kindel.

I don't have any Henkel Harris or Kittinger, so I can't comment on those. Certainly they have great reputations, but have no personal experience with them.

Whatever you decide, it sounds like your furniture will be gorgeous! Please post!

o

We will as soon as we find order and receive the furniture. It might take 6-9 months.

o

I have my mother's Kittinger sideboard. It is lovely, beautifully constructed, and has certainly held up in the "test of time" category.

o

The brands you posted are all high-end manufacturers. I would add Karges to the list.

Stickley opened a plant in Vietnam a few years ago. It's not clear if they sell any of the Vietnam-made furniture in the US but something you may want to check out.

o

Thanks, John WC. Will do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here