Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you like your black sofa or sectional??

Posted by sewwhatsnew (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 23:15

I'm not getting any response to my Havertys black sofa question, I'd like opinions of black sofas. Most of my kitchen is black and visible from the living room, so I felt black would be good for the living room, or will it be too much black...How do you feel about black furniture???? I have 6 black island stools, visible from the living room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you like your black sofa or sectional??

From a technical standpoint, to get the leather black the tanner must add pigments to the leather, the more pigments added to the leather the less it will breath. Making the leather less comfortable and also doesnt age nearly as well as aniline or vegetable tanned hides.

o

We have a black leather couch in our LR (which opens to our kitchen), black counter stools (w/chrome legs) in the kitchen itself, and black and chrome chairs in our DR--works for us! Seriously, they all look great in our space, and we couldn't imagine anything else working as well with our color-scheme, or decor.

o

Black leather is very classic and works with many design styles. If that's what you like, go for it. However, the kitchen having a lot of black would make me want to add more color as not to have an overall feeling of everything being dark. So many colors work with black, from sage green to burgundy, yellow or cream, and all look good paired with black accents. If you feel you need black in the living room to tie it together, you can always do it with accents.

Our previous home had a family room done with black, white, red and green with touches of yellow. The fabrics were all from Waverly. The main one was Garden Images in black, and the Ballroom plaid with the same colors, along with textured solids. It worked really well. Keep an open mind but remember the only one that really has to be happy with the space is you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here