Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jusgettinstarted

Is NC really a great deal?

jusgettinstarted
17 years ago

For years I have heard that NC was the place to go for furniture purchases. Now I am really getting ready to purchase and keep looking around and jsut wonder what is there and if I can really get more bang for the buck. How good is good? And how do you you know the best places?

Comments (10)

• Tryin2Grow
    17 years ago

If you use the search function at the bottom of the page your post is located and put in NC furniture, you will find that this question has been discussed in depth. You should do this in Home Decorating as well as there are some very detailed threads on just this topic.

• jusgettinstarted
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you!

• realdreamer
    17 years ago

Yes. I just ordered the following from Brenda Hawkes at Boyles in Hickory NC [see below]. I've been doing business with Brenda for years. For comparison, I put the prices I was quoted in my town in brackets. Check also Lexington Furniture Store in Lexington KY. NC stores now have to collect sales tax for other states, but KY does not. Cross check between NC & NC because the two can some times be the same price. I have not taken delivery from Lexington yet, but I have heard that their D & D delivery service is lousey. I am paying more to use Sun Delivery. Boyles uses Classic and I have to say they are very good. I've never had a problem and half the furniture I own was delivered by Classic. I've added the contact info for the two stores at the end of this posting. I usually make a trip to the stores, but have also ordered over the phone. You just need to know what it is you want including fabric, finishes, sizes, colors etc. Some of the manufactures are cracking down on NC stores [to force buyers to shop for their products locally], so you may have to make a trip there to establish your business relationship.

Boyles:
    Kingsdown mattress set $2,100 [$2,600]
    Hickory Chair night stand $1,350 [$2,150]
    Martha Stewart Bed by Bernhartd $990 [$1,200]

Lexington Furniture:
    Hancock & Moore leather sofa $3,201 [$5,000]
    Hancock & Moore leather chair $1,671 [$3,500]
    Hancock & Moore leather ottoman $572 [$1,200]

Brenda Hawkes (tell her Catherine from Houston referred you)
    Boyles Furniture Locations
    2220 Highway 70 S.E.
    Hickory, NC 28602
    Phone: (828) 326-1735
    Hours: Mon. - Sat. 9-6 & Sun. 1-5
    www.boyles.com

P. Madison
    Lexington Furniture Company
    3024 Blake James Drive
    Lexington, KY 4059
    859 254 5362
    www.lexfurniture.com

• steakas
    17 years ago

High Point Furniture Sales in North Carolina does not charge tax. They use a separate company to ship their items which allows them to avoid charging tax. Their website is http://www.highpointfurnituresales.com I've done business with Hilda.

Good Luck!

• thewgp
    17 years ago

Speaking as an NC local - the savings can be great, depending on where you go. Check out smaller stores as well as the "big names" mentioned on this forum - I recently saved a good bit of money - several hundred dollars on only 4 pieces from a mid-line maker - simply by shopping at a smaller store rather than taking the quotes from Rose, FLSouth, etc.

If you're shipping out of state, though, that's the tricky part. The savings must be great enough to outweigh the shipping cost - and do account for potential tax bills, if your store doesn't charge tax your state may be able to send you a bill in some cases. Dang sneaky politicians!

Of course, if your tax rate is > 7% you could just buy for pickup and pay the 7%, then contract w/ the shipping co yourself - I've heard sometimes they'll give people in that situation a discount similar to if they came from a store directly. I haven't done that myself, obviously - we pick up all our items ourselves, but it might be worth a shot. Saving even a percent or two on several thousand dollars can add up!

• mogator88
    17 years ago

Not like it used to be. If you're looking to buy a $20,000 bedroom set, you might save a few thousand. However, its not so cut and dry. The most reputable NC stores are also the highest priced. Buy from one of them and you're not saving a lot.

Or, buy from the NC lowballer and pray the furniture comes in perfect. If you have a slightly damaged or factory blemished piece, you'll probably have to keep it and settle for a local refinishing job. Only complete damage (like a nightstand that was crushed into matchsticks) will be replaced, and YOU may have to file the freight claim with the trucking company.

Shipping costs have also gone way up, they're not cheap like they used to be. But, if you have your heart set on the really expensive stuff, see if someone fairly close carries it. Most will cut their prices to compete with a legitimate NC quote. If there's a problem, even if the store is a couple of hours away, you'll be able to get better, more prompt service.

And don't forget that every penny you "save" in sales tax has to be made up somewhere. Higher income and property taxes down the road, and higher sales tax on everything else are the result.

Oh, one other thing. Technically, you still owe state sales tax (called "use tax") to the state you live in. If you're someone who is prone to being audited by your state, or thinking of ever running for elected office, you'll want to make that payment.

S

• dave_vrona_com
    17 years ago

I think the poster is right about D & D delivery. I am going through a nightmare right now because of that company. I tried to refuse one of two pieces that were being delivered due to some damage I was concerned about. The head delivery guy tried to give me every excuse in the book as to why I should accept it. There were ink scribbles on the back of the couch and he told me "the leather cutters mark where they are going to cut that way". Well, it looked like this coach was in a showroom and some 3 year old kid took a pen to the back of it. It only got worse from there. As I was inside my house looking over my contract with Furniture Direct, the delivery guys started bringing the disputed piece through the front door!!! They said "we don't want it to get rained on", yet it wasn't raining outside. I stopped them at the door and told them I was reviewing the paperwork and wanted the piece outside as I was doing so.

As I was inside reviewing the paperwork, they piled all of the protective plastic on the coach and then they piled the cardboard on that and left it all in my front yard. Yes, they just drove off. I didn't sign the delivery paperwork and of course I didn't get a copy of it. I took digital pictures of the pile they left on the couch in the front.

I bought this couch with an American Express card so I am going to see what my dispute options are on this. I'll be considering use of one of the family attorneys with this company.

I bought from a different company that also uses D & D. That company is Furniture Direct.

So, yes, I recommend avoid D & D. In my mind, the jury is still out on Furniture direct. We'll see how they handle this.

• beshel
    17 years ago

I have saved a great deal of money by shopping in NC. I purchased in Hickory & High Point. I got to see furniture in person I would never get to see locally (SW FL) - and saved a great deal of money. Some things up to 75% off retail - however I am a good shopper and researched before we went - I had the whole trip mapped out and which stores we went to. I am also picky, I wasn't finding anything I liked locally. If you can't go in person I would call Blacks Furniture in High Point (Pat) for any quotes their shipping company was one of the best & most professional we had and the furniture prices were very good. My MIL went a month after us and made all her purchases at Blacks. All in all I would go to NC again, plus it's fun to see all the different furiture, most I had never seen before. I also purchased "The Furniture Factory Outlet Guide" to do all my research prior to my trip - it was a great tool.

• najoba_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

As I sat here all day today (11/27/07) waiting for a replacement delivery from D & D Delivery, I finally got concerned as they have not yet shown up by 3:28 P.M. I called them in High Point, and the man I spoke with indicated that the truck was over in Louisiana, and wouldn't be here until Thursday. Now they tell me!

I cannot begin to tell you how many problems we have had with D & D delivery service, and all the damaged furniture that has had to be sent back, over and over. Their employees even damaged furniture as I watched them set it in place inside our home. I will NEVER again buy any furniture from any company who uses this delivery service.

We purchased a dining room suite in March of 2006. Every single major piece arrived damaged or defective. We have been returning these damaged pieces for over 1-1/2 years, and still haven't gotten the matter resolved. We thought today would be the end of it, but we were wrong. We have yet been unable to get a complete undamaged dining room suite.

Frankly, it wasn't worth the money we saved by buying at discount in North Carolina.

• abcmom
    16 years ago

Stay as far away from Furniture Direct and D&D delivery as you can! If you do a search on this furniture forum,you may still be able to find the post about these two companies. I and others do not find their companies reputable at all.