Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacy_gw

Suitable top for this Ikea table base

jacy
14 years ago

I'm using refrigerator wall cabinets as the basis for a counter-height dining nook in my kitchen redo. I've been searching endlessly for a suitable rectangular counter-height table. Ideally, I need a pedestal or trestle base, so the table can be scooched back to the nook seating when not in use (very small kitchen.) I'm finding tons of counter-height tables, but the trestle/pedestal styles are either too big, too small or totally the wrong style or color. I'm not matchy-matchy but country honeyed oak even too much of a stretch for me, in my Shaker-inspired white/chocolate cherry and stainless kitchen.

I finally found this base at Ikea (the URL loads the square version, I'm considering the rectangular counter-height, not bar height) that I think is nondescript enough and although it's a little stark, at least it's stainless. Now I just need to figure out how large a rectangular top it can support, and of what weight. An engineer I'm not!

Ikea's coordinating top is the same size as the base and is too small. But if I can settle on this base as being sturdy enough, I'm pretty sure I can scrounge up a suitable table top somewhere along the way.

I went with a counter-height nook so the table can do double-duty as a faux island -- I need all the countertop space I can get. I think a granite top would be too much for this base, although might it be possible in the thinner slab thickness (3/4" is it?) with not too much overhang?

The square base weighs 30 lbs., not sure what the rectangular one might weigh but obviously a little more. I plan to hit Ikea in person this weekend to check it out but before I get my heart set on this, any thoughts on the maximum table-top size it might support, in a hardwood? Granite even doable?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea stainless table base