Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannettec_gw

Is copper table practical?

jeannettec
12 years ago

My husband and I just saw a beautiful copper dining table with the edges in walnut. The wood crafter said the copper was not coated and that he'd done a table like this seven years ago. After seven years, he said the copper had become multi-colored with swirls but it was not the green patina that you see outdoors. He said it will stand up to heavy use but I'm not convinced. I don't want to fuss with my main table.

I looked up how to care for copper tables. Some say you shouldn't put water glasses down on them and you shouldn't use water to clean them. That seems really restrictive. They suggest you wax them twice a year. That seems OK.

Does anyone have a copper table top. How practical is it?

I don't mind if the copper changes hue or becomes multi-colored but it must be easy to clean off.

Jeannette

Comments (10)

• Dovetales
    12 years ago

Copper is beautiful, but check into a coating for it, copper can be harmful, especially when it comes in contact with food. That is why copper pots were lined with tin and we always advise customers not to use an antique copper pot unless it has been re-tined. I do believe that copper counters are treated in someway because of this.

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

A couple of issues I've seen with copper are
    - Especially with hammered copper, the high points tend to get buffed out (forearms, dishes, decor) with normal use. If the copper is chemically patinated, this will show up as a lighter spot.

- Copper is soft enough to scratch. It takes some effort, but it does scratch and there's not a good cure for it.

Most of the copper I deal with is top coated, but I can also believe that spilled acidic foods/drinks will leave a bright spot. People sometimes clean cent pieces by putting them in a glass of Coca-Cola.

• msdeborahd
    12 years ago

Reading with interest because I'm considering a set from Riverside called Medley, but in living room tables vs. a dining room set. :)

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

Riverside Medley end and cocktail tables seem to be marble inset. I noted a countertop height table that was hammered copper.

It depends a lot of your use. I did a couple of warranty calls for a customer a number of years ago. There were white blush marks on the edges of their cocktail table. Their comment was, "It does that when we put our feet on it. When we put feet on those [end] tables, they don't mark up like that."

I"m thinking, "What part of cocktail _table_ sounds like 'ottoman'?"

I know people put shoes and stocking feet (hot and sweaty) on cocktail tables, eat off them, slide game consoles, lap-tops, and game controllers on them. But that would be extreme use.

• Dovetales
    12 years ago

Companies that specialize in copper furniture, do deal in food grade copper. I wanted to let readers know that, as an antique dealer and a family business in HVAC, I have seen that sometimes do-it-yourself projects will use pieces of construction/HVAC copper to make tables and cover their counter tops and this grade of copper can have dangerous chemical coatings. (The same can be said for galvanized sheet metal that is used in ductwork)

• maisoui1
    12 years ago

Oh crap, I ordered a copper top table from Century. Never thought of that issue. It looked real pretty to me. For what I am paying for it I really wouldn't want to worry about it getting damaged easily.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

I'm wondering how a copper table will wear with regular use. I saw one at Arhaus Furniture. They are waxed I believe. I thought it would be quite sturdy and being it's variegated it wouldn't show every scratch, stain, etc.

my 2 kids ( 6 and 4) would be using it regularly...

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

We have a coffee table with a partial copper top. It has survived cats, beer, the cleaning lady, and a bunch of other attacks.

I polish it occasionally with cheapo furniture polish, wash it with 409 or similar cleaner when it gets dirty.

It's a deep coppery brown and has been that way for several years.

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

We have owned a copper table for about 20 years. Still looks good and it's in our family room.