Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fabric-covered headboard/need DIY tips!

Posted by carolbarrel (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 17:29

I'm inheriting a bed with an ugly & boring cheap wooden headboard. I'd like to cover it with thin foam (like a bed topper) and then cover that with fabric to make a soft/padded headboard with eye-catching design on fabric as a covering. Anyone ever do this successfully? TIA for any tips and also links to DIY articles/info on this topic!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fabric-covered headboard/need DIY tips!

Cut thin foam the exact size of the backboard, then cut batting a little bit larger to wrap around. The batting will make it look more rounded. Glue the foam on then staple the batting around the back. It helps if you have two people to help stretch the fabric. Staple at twelve oclock, then six, then three then nine. Keep pulling and stretching as you staple the midpoints etc. Not a difficult project - have fun!

o

I did a similar project but started with a sheet of plywood. I used spray adhesive to adhere the foam to the wood and then applied the batting. I had a compressor with staple gun and another person to help. I stapled the batting about an inch in on the back and then added the decorator fabric. I put nail head trim around it. It really helped to have my partner fold the corners from behind and I gauged it from the front to make sure one side wasn't pulled more tightly than the other.

I added a picture of mine. I moved last week and might make a new one with different fabric.

o

If you want to get some style ideas have a look at Vanguard they have the most interesting program.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here