Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with 50s bamboo lounge chair

Posted by marytw (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 16:37

Hi, all,

This is the first time I've visited the Furniture forum but am hoping someone here will have some ideas on how to fix my antique bamboo lounge chair.

It was my Dad's and I have it at my lake place. It was originally filled with kapok but last winter I had a local upholsterer put new fabric on the pillows, and he decided that the kapok would be too hard to work with so he replaced it with foam. The chair looks good but unfortunately we can't sit on it for long (or use the footstool as a seat) because the hard bamboo frame can be felt through the foam. (There are two pillowed sections, one for the chair and one for the ottoman.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

(That mess at the end of the footstool is my attempt to put some covered foam strips under the ottoman to provide more support, but it's unsightly and doesnt work.)

Back of chair:

Photobucket

Support for chair base (starting to degrade):

Photobucket

Support for ottoman:

Photobucket

You can see that the large bamboo supports are easier to feel in the ottoman than in the chair, where there are some rattan connectors above the bamboo.

I've contacted the upholsterer about the problem but he's very busy right now so I thought I'd ask whether anyone here knows what options we might have to make the chair sittable again. Is there some sort of webbing, perhaps, that could be stretched across the chair and footstool framework that would provide enough support to ease the discomfort of feeling the bamboo frame? If so, how would it be attached? Since the chair is open and the back can be seen, I'd like whatever support I put under the pillows to be approximately the same color as the chair.

All ideas welcome, and thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with 50s bamboo lounge chair

Anyone?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here