Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clconder

Wondering what my HENREDON sofa is probably worth?

clconder
14 years ago

Hi-

I would really appreciate some input on how much my Henredon couch is probably worth. It is 27 years old but the frame is in great condition. They don't make frames like this anymore! Amazing quality. It was reupholstered about 13 years ago and restuffed.

Any insight would be wonderful. I don't have room for it unfortunately any longer and I'm looking to sell it. Any suggestions on the best way to do this would be great too.

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• thecollector
    14 years ago

A 27 year old sofa that has been recovered and stuffed 13 years ago has very little value. And I would have to disagree that current frames are not made as good as those in the 80's (I sold furniture too, when yours was made).

You may be able to get a couple hundred dollars on Craigslist if the covering on it is good, but that will probably be it. Of course its not possible to put a number on anything without seeing detailed photos.

IF you cannot sell it, consider donating to Habitat for Humanity or similar. They are always looking for donations of usable furniture and will give you a receipt for tax deductions. Good luck.

• pam4309
    14 years ago

I agree with thecollector. I recently moved and sold a fair amount of furniture. I have a Vanguard sofa in very good conditon and was told by a consignment store "It's just an old piece of furniture...worth about $150." It hurts but it is true.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

The value in the sofa is that someone can buy it inexpensively and it is worthwhile recovering. The total price of the sofa and reupholstery would net a better sofa than one would get new at that price. However, I agree, it is in that age group that makes it "used furniture"

• great_lakes_state
    14 years ago

Concur with the above. Also note that reupholstery costs (fabric, trim, materials and labor) may deter prospective purchasers.

Perhaps you could sell for the "best offer" received.

• riddler612_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I bought a henredon table item number 7054-40 and I can't find any information on it. Would like to no the history and how much its worth.

• pattydiamond2
    7 years ago

Wondering also what my Mother's almost like new Henredon sofa from the 60's is worth....we were never allowed to sit on it and we didn't. It is in pristine condition. Covered in a light green silk-linen fabric. Green is the color for 2017 :)! She just passed away and we were wondering what to do with it...not giving it to charity or just away.

• hooked123
    7 years ago

Used furniture isn't worth much! I previously worked for a high end consignment store and people just won't pay much for used furniture to my surprise.

• rosanne_bono
    3 years ago

I disagree with some of these comments. Certain furniture brands and styles have a very desirable and collectable aesthetic. Look on 1st Dibs and Cherish. There are usually wonderful old Henredon pieces on there, along with Century and Hickory Chair and Sherrill and Vanguard, to name a few. If a sofa has fabulous classic or unique lines and has wonderful fabric in good condition, an older sofa can bear a high price tag, if sold on a site attracting shoppers who have a savvy, discerning taste, and who know a special find when they see one. A vintage Henredon sofa by Dorothy Draper in great condition can cost a small fortune, if it’s in a good fabric and color. A shopper or consignment shop owner has to understand what they are looking at. Instead of asking opinions from people, do some homework. Google “vintage Henredon sofas”. Look on 1st Dibs and Chairish and Sotheby’s auction. Even ebay. They often carry ads for pieces that have already sold, so you can still see the prices asked. There are LOTS of on line stores that sell only desirable, stylish vintage sofas. They’re usually $800 to $1,000 or more. A few of these vendors are on ebay. Now I don‘t want to build your hopes up. If you sell locally you will have to take what the market will bear. Or take the sofa to a nearby city that has a bigger market and high-end consignment shops. First, though, do research and see how your sofa stands up to the other high-priced ones.

• sharej
    2 years ago

I always knew this and even have said as much to my husband who is willing to fork over the $800 to upholster the sofa we retrieved from a neighbor who set it out for trash pick up. He says it will be unique in our home for our enjoyment and not think of it in monetary terms. If it came with back cushions this one did not have it, but no matter, we are going to cover it in Natural linen and place four 12x12 decorative pillows on the back and use it as seating for a small cafe table and two cane bottom chairs in our breakfast/coffee room. Since I don't go all out and decorate our home for holidays I will change out my back pillow covers for the seasons and the curtains that the sofa will sit in front of. It's the least I can do to spiff up this undervalued relic....lol!

• Alice Eggers
    last year

Someone driving by saw the couch, took the back cushions and planned on coming back for the couch. It must have killed them to come back and found the couch was gone. This is hilarious!

• sharej
    last year
    last modified: last year

UPDATE: We scrapped the project due to finding a fully upholstered Henredon in blue linen that is stain guarded for a lot less money featured on the FB marketplace. There are many. It is just not worth it today to reupholster in Linen. 3 yrs ago I was able to secure 100% linen med to heavy weight for less than $6 a yd....you be lucky today to get it in the amount you want under $15 a yd on sale w/o shipping added.... it's outrageous!