Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curiouscrave

Trying to understand the condition of older furniture

curiouscrave
10 years ago

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm here in hopes of finding some expert advice on the condition of older furniture in regards to mold and mycotoxins.

About ten months ago I inherited some furniture. I have 3 tables from the 1940's my grandfather built, an old cedar chest, a wood display case, and two wooden/upholstered chairs. When I received them they were in bad condition. I refinished all of them (cleaning, sanding, staining, sealing). I also steam cleaned and sun dried the two chairs wood/upholstered. The past couple months I've been fighting some illness and my doctor believes I am being exposed to mold somehow. My house is brand new, built just ten months ago and I am pretty positive there is no mold there as i have done several mold tests.

As I was evaluating everything I started to wonder if the old furniture was the problem. I know all the furniture was stored for many many years in a basement that had flooded. Even though I don't see anything furry or fuzzy growing maybe there are dead mold spores or mycotoxins coming from the furniture. There is some discoloration in certain areas of the wood but my husband says that is were the wood has aged.

I am open to any opinions or knowledge anyone has on dealing with this issue. I would hate to have together rid of the furniture.

Thanks so much.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County