Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsyhac

What style is this piece?

betsyhac
14 years ago

Can anyone tell me what style this piece might be? I'm considering purchasing it secondhand. You can't tell from this picture, but the surface is a crackled finish. Supposedly, it was originally purchased for $1300.

Thank you,

Betsy

Comments (2)

• lindac
    14 years ago

No idea what to call it....but I suspect it did not originally have a crackel finish. Is it carved or painted?
    It's a console book case sort of thing
    Linda C

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Its a French style console cabinet. (looks a little Italian, too, maybe). I can't tell, do the sides open, or just the center door.

I have seen a number of variations of these, some with stained wood or marble tops, and they have all been reproductions (or "in the style of")--so they have had distressed finishes or crackled finishes. It is obvious on the inside of those I have seen that they are not really old pieces, they aren't trying to fool anyone. What does the inside look like?

Is there any markings on it,including a stencil on the back? Its quite decorative, and they are meant to be used as accent pieces, so it doesnt need to "go with" anything specifically. I would look online and see if you can find what people are asking for them on eBay and such.