Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying new Furniture, need help/suggestions/experience

Posted by newb2furniture (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 11:51

We are planning to Furnish our new home with a budget of 8K-10K. We live in NC state. We have kid. Things we are planning to buy,
1. Master Queen bed, Dresser/mirror, night stand
2. FR: sectional (leather or MF) a recliner, a coffee table.
3. Guest bed and dresser/mirror
4. fabric sofa and two single chairs

I have heard a lot of High point and Hickory. have been checking those website and doing research for about a month now, but totally overwhelmed. I would like to know where to go(highpoint or hickory considering my budget), which specific store? what brand to look for. I have been reading really bad reviews (and a bad Google review too) on furniture land south. Would love the furniture to last around 10-15 years.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying new Furniture, need help/suggestions/experience

I would definitely ignore the above post. Since you live in NC, the furniture capital of America, you shouldn't buy furniture from some FL online store.

I had a good experience with Furnitureland South buying 3 rooms of furniture there 12 years ago. It held up well over the years. Sorry to hear about the recent bad press. I bought my master bedroom furniture at the Thomasville store in or near High Point, NC and that has held up well. I bought some couches recently from Lee Industries, which is made in NC. I would guess if you live in NC, it would be cheaper than what I paid. For leather furniture, Hancock and Moore is great quality and made in NC. For upholstered furniture, H&M makes a line called Taylor King. You could find out where they are sold near you.

o

Anyone bought furniture recently from that store? or heard bad about? mainly on furnitureland south, what I heard is bad return/warranty and customer service. Is it true?
Would broyhill be good quality for my budget?

o

Research the manufacturer before you buy. Furniture made in the United States is of superior quality and worth the price. Also measure all doorways. Take swatches of your carpet and paint to the store. Use the online design websites for proper layout and correct size of furniture

o

You may have an unrealistic budget. To buy furniture that will last 10 or 15 years you are going to need pretty good quality. A good leather sectional alone is going to eat up over half of your $10,000 budget unless you are willing to settle for something off Craig's List.

Hancock and Moore is great furniture, but a Hancock and Moore leather sectional could use up your entire budget all by itself.

Furnitureland South is a huge retailer. They have so many customers that if even a small percentage have problems and write negative reviews it will seem like quite a lot. My personal opinion is that while they are not the best discount retailer for prices or the best discount retailer for service, they do a pretty good job overall and they do have a huge selection of furniture to choose from.

o

I, unfortunately, agree with jefff123. Your budget is very low for getting that much brand new, quality furniture. It will take some time on craigslist to piece together what you need, or you can go with a lower quality (Rooms to Go?) with the understanding that it will not last. Then save save save $$ to replace the cheap stuff as it wears out with quality things, one piece at a time.

o

We have had great experience with Furniture Land South. We have found some great buys in the clearance center. Everything up there is sold as-is without warranty. Damage can and does happen in transit. If your furniture is damaged in transit or as they move it into your space that's on them and covered. It's definitely worth a trip.

Click my username link and go to my page to email me and I can get you some more info on furniture buying in NC.

o

I would splurge on the sofas and go mid quality on the rest. You could spend five grand on the sectional, get a decent $1500 or so bedroom set then take what you have left and spend on the guest room and so forth. This next comment may make some people have frowny faces but believe it or not Lane actually has two sectionals in their line of furniture that are top notch, the Caulsen group and the Eric group. Both have kiln dried hardwood frames and blocked joints.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here