Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newb2furniture

Buying new Furniture, need help/suggestions/experience

newb2furniture
11 years ago

We are planning to Furnish our new home with a budget of 8K-10K. We live in NC state. We have kid. Things we are planning to buy,

1. Master Queen bed, Dresser/mirror, night stand

2. FR: sectional (leather or MF) a recliner, a coffee table.

3. Guest bed and dresser/mirror

4. fabric sofa and two single chairs

I have heard a lot of High point and Hickory. have been checking those website and doing research for about a month now, but totally overwhelmed. I would like to know where to go(highpoint or hickory considering my budget), which specific store? what brand to look for. I have been reading really bad reviews (and a bad Google review too) on furniture land south. Would love the furniture to last around 10-15 years.

Thanks in advance

Comments (7)

• mom270
    11 years ago

I would definitely ignore the above post. Since you live in NC, the furniture capital of America, you shouldn't buy furniture from some FL online store.

I had a good experience with Furnitureland South buying 3 rooms of furniture there 12 years ago. It held up well over the years. Sorry to hear about the recent bad press. I bought my master bedroom furniture at the Thomasville store in or near High Point, NC and that has held up well. I bought some couches recently from Lee Industries, which is made in NC. I would guess if you live in NC, it would be cheaper than what I paid. For leather furniture, Hancock and Moore is great quality and made in NC. For upholstered furniture, H&M makes a line called Taylor King. You could find out where they are sold near you.

• newb2furniture
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone bought furniture recently from that store? or heard bad about? mainly on furnitureland south, what I heard is bad return/warranty and customer service. Is it true?
    Would broyhill be good quality for my budget?

• Dulce928
    11 years ago

Research the manufacturer before you buy. Furniture made in the United States is of superior quality and worth the price. Also measure all doorways. Take swatches of your carpet and paint to the store. Use the online design websites for proper layout and correct size of furniture

• jefff123
    11 years ago

You may have an unrealistic budget. To buy furniture that will last 10 or 15 years you are going to need pretty good quality. A good leather sectional alone is going to eat up over half of your $10,000 budget unless you are willing to settle for something off Craig's List.

Hancock and Moore is great furniture, but a Hancock and Moore leather sectional could use up your entire budget all by itself.

Furnitureland South is a huge retailer. They have so many customers that if even a small percentage have problems and write negative reviews it will seem like quite a lot. My personal opinion is that while they are not the best discount retailer for prices or the best discount retailer for service, they do a pretty good job overall and they do have a huge selection of furniture to choose from.

• angiedfw
    11 years ago

I, unfortunately, agree with jefff123. Your budget is very low for getting that much brand new, quality furniture. It will take some time on craigslist to piece together what you need, or you can go with a lower quality (Rooms to Go?) with the understanding that it will not last. Then save save save $$ to replace the cheap stuff as it wears out with quality things, one piece at a time.

• brian2k
    11 years ago

I would splurge on the sofas and go mid quality on the rest. You could spend five grand on the sectional, get a decent $1500 or so bedroom set then take what you have left and spend on the guest room and so forth. This next comment may make some people have frowny faces but believe it or not Lane actually has two sectionals in their line of furniture that are top notch, the Caulsen group and the Eric group. Both have kiln dried hardwood frames and blocked joints.