Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reasonable furniture cost in MA

Posted by rainlan (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 11:21

Will like to request opinion/advice on reasonably affordable, yet quality furniture in MA.

I need almost everything. 10 years out of college, time to stop living like a student!

Jordans/cratenbarrel prices seem okay. But is the quality decent? Example - will they break in 8 years, scratch easily, or will the drawers not close?

I've also seen cabot house store, but their prices are too unaffordable.

Specifically, looking for:
Dining table + upholstered chair set in dark wood or black
living room set, (a sofa set + accent chair + ottoman table)
An upholstered king bed or headboard + 2 end tables
2 big desks
Some lights and rugs

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reasonable furniture cost in MA

I would start with estate sale. Check the want ads under antiques or estate sales or household or just furniture.
There are amazing buys out there....and very often very very good quality stuff.
When you have to have everything all at once it can be daunting, and often when you go to an auction or tag sale it allows you to say...Oh this will tide me over until I find something better..And sometimes you learn to really love the hunt.
Linda c

o

Ty I've been to bedroom furniture online link, not bad.

Which brand is better, or are they all good? Also, should I find a designer to decorate the whole house or diy?

Thanks!

o

Be aware that there are a number of people here who wait for questions, then post a promotion to their own web site (that is against the forum rules, BTW). It may appear you are getting helpful advice from a satisfied customer. Often not. You are getting pitched by people who not only have a less than unbiased opinion but also a vested interest in promoting their wares. Isn't it strange that the same person always directs you to the same site?

Consider that if they are doing this deceptive and unethical promotion, how ethical they are going to be in a transaction buying from them?

o

So Bobsmyuncle, safe to assume no affiliation to http://www.mybobs.com/ ??

o

LOL. No association what-so-ever.

I am a sole proprietor running an independent furniture repair business. I started this business after nearly 30 years of serious hobby and semi-professional woodworking (There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' -- Dave Barry)

My handle comes from a British expression, see link.

I never promote my business here and I think anyone would be hard pressed to find out what it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob's your uncle.

o

Ok, so back to the original question...

We're in Boston area/Northshore, and also purchasing furniture for a whole house. We've been to them all...

Basically, I think Jordan's is the best be to get a good lay-of-the-land. They have a huge in-store selection and the furniture is generally good, middle of the road quality: not too cheap (i.e., Bob's, Ashley furniture) and not ridiculously priced (i.e., Cabothouse/Thomasville).

The key to shopping Jordans is looking for the solid-wood stuff (i.e., we bought stuff made by Kincaid 10 years ago from there, and it's still holding up perfect) and trying to buy American-made whenever possible.

You can also try craigslist, especially for the dining room - just go look, the site is cluttered with options. Going that route will allow you to comfortably afford Thomasville, Lexington & Ethan Allen, at "used" prices. Just got to make sure the wear isn't too bad.

o

How about Boston Interiors? Bernie and Phyl's?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here