Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainlan

Reasonable furniture cost in MA

rainlan
13 years ago

Will like to request opinion/advice on reasonably affordable, yet quality furniture in MA.

I need almost everything. 10 years out of college, time to stop living like a student!

Jordans/cratenbarrel prices seem okay. But is the quality decent? Example - will they break in 8 years, scratch easily, or will the drawers not close?

I've also seen cabot house store, but their prices are too unaffordable.

Specifically, looking for:

Dining table + upholstered chair set in dark wood or black

living room set, (a sofa set + accent chair + ottoman table)

An upholstered king bed or headboard + 2 end tables

2 big desks

Some lights and rugs

What do you think?

Comments (7)

• lindac
    13 years ago

I would start with estate sale. Check the want ads under antiques or estate sales or household or just furniture.
    There are amazing buys out there....and very often very very good quality stuff.
    When you have to have everything all at once it can be daunting, and often when you go to an auction or tag sale it allows you to say...Oh this will tide me over until I find something better..And sometimes you learn to really love the hunt.
    Linda c

• rainlan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ty I've been to bedroom furniture online link, not bad.

Which brand is better, or are they all good? Also, should I find a designer to decorate the whole house or diy?

Thanks!

• bobismyuncle
    13 years ago

Be aware that there are a number of people here who wait for questions, then post a promotion to their own web site (that is against the forum rules, BTW). It may appear you are getting helpful advice from a satisfied customer. Often not. You are getting pitched by people who not only have a less than unbiased opinion but also a vested interest in promoting their wares. Isn't it strange that the same person always directs you to the same site?

Consider that if they are doing this deceptive and unethical promotion, how ethical they are going to be in a transaction buying from them?

• agent_007
    13 years ago

So Bobsmyuncle, safe to assume no affiliation to http://www.mybobs.com/ ??

• bobismyuncle
    13 years ago

LOL. No association what-so-ever.

I am a sole proprietor running an independent furniture repair business. I started this business after nearly 30 years of serious hobby and semi-professional woodworking (There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' -- Dave Barry)

My handle comes from a British expression, see link.

I never promote my business here and I think anyone would be hard pressed to find out what it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob's your uncle.

• Stephen Costa
    13 years ago

Ok, so back to the original question...

We're in Boston area/Northshore, and also purchasing furniture for a whole house. We've been to them all...

Basically, I think Jordan's is the best be to get a good lay-of-the-land. They have a huge in-store selection and the furniture is generally good, middle of the road quality: not too cheap (i.e., Bob's, Ashley furniture) and not ridiculously priced (i.e., Cabothouse/Thomasville).

The key to shopping Jordans is looking for the solid-wood stuff (i.e., we bought stuff made by Kincaid 10 years ago from there, and it's still holding up perfect) and trying to buy American-made whenever possible.

You can also try craigslist, especially for the dining room - just go look, the site is cluttered with options. Going that route will allow you to comfortably afford Thomasville, Lexington & Ethan Allen, at "used" prices. Just got to make sure the wear isn't too bad.

• amrad
    13 years ago

How about Boston Interiors? Bernie and Phyl's?