Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Large Desks Come In Pieces?

Posted by doninphilly (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 9:44

I'm in the market for a large desk. I have ample space in my upstairs office, but getting it up there could be a problem. Viewing the Maitland-Smith site, I saw that many product descriptions state the number of cartons, so I guess that means the desk comes apart into a certain number of pieces and needs to be assembled in place. I was previously under the impression that high-end desks did not disassemble. Certainly, I can verify before I order any specific desk whether it comes in one piece or several, but it would help my browsing to know whether I can expect that a large desk from most higher-end manufacturers would not generally come in one humongous piece that few people would be able to maneuver into a home office. Does anyone know about this? Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Maitland-Smith Desk Example

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Large Desks Come In Pieces?

We make custom high-end desks on a regular basis and they all come apart. They are simply too heavy, and too cumbersome to make as a solid unit. Usually they are made in four pieces, the top, the two pedestals, and then modesty panels, etc.

Its not about the number of pieces, its how well its made and designed to go together.

o
RE: Do Large Desks Come In Pieces?

Large items like this is shipped KD or knock down, Maitland Smith has manufacturing in the Philippines, so this saves on shipping. The dealer is required to assemble, not intended for customer assembly. But you could check with your local dealer, if you have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here