Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linsue525

recliner or chair/ottoman

linsue525
17 years ago

Another dilemna. I am trying to decide what to get hubby. Either a wall recliner or chair/ottoman. He's 6'4" and 250 lbs. Told me to get what I want.

For recliners, Flexsteel or Lazy-Boy?

Thanks

Comments (10)

• centralcacyclist
    17 years ago

Flexsteel. Ask the dealer for the Flexsteel Big Man's chair. It only comes in this model but can be ordered in any covering. See my other post. My ex is 6-3 and 350 pounds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triton Recliner

• john_wc
    17 years ago

For a wall recliner, you need excess space in back of the recliner unless it is a zero clearance type recliner.

For a chair and ottoman you need space in front of the chair for the ottoman.

So make the decision as to how each would best fit in the room.

Cannot recommend either of the two brands you listed. Motion upholstery in my view is one of those pieces of furniture you don't buy if you are not willing to buy top or near top of the line. The reason is that premature failure of the recliner mechanism is an all too common problem.

• sister3
    17 years ago

Look for a well made club chair and ottoman. Most recliners just end up looking old,tired and cheap. They are often clunky and ugly. A nice size club chair and ottoman will do double duty for you. The ottoman can always act as extra seating/table. He can really stretch out and get comfy.

If you want to make it a lifetime piece go for a grade 3 or higher leather. If you can't/don't want to do that buy the best pieces you can afford (hand-tied and all that) and enjoy.

• realdreamer
    17 years ago

I agree that both brands are not very good. My best friend has Lazy-Boy and learned real fast that they were not a good investment. Although recliners have improved over the years, recliners are not known to be sturdy pieces of furniture. I'd go with the chair and ottoman. But if you really want a recliner, check out the Hancock and Moore. The MSRP is high, but you can get a really good price from Lexington Furniture Company in Lexington KY on Hancock and Moore. Website is lexfurniture.com. I can't comment on their delivery service as I have not recieved my furniture yet. I've heard that their D & D delivery company is lousey. I requested they use Sun delivery when my furniture is ready.

• likesdoilies
    17 years ago

I like the Natuzzi recliners. They are not ugly, there is a nice choice of colors in microfiber and leather, and they are not all the same in terms of size. I have a small one that fits me very nicely.
    Aren't club chairs the ones with short backs? I can't see a man comfortable on one of those.

• rysher
    17 years ago

i like the ekornes recliners. hell, i like everything ekornes. problem is - my wallet doesn't like ekornes. I CANT AFFORD!

• mom23kids
    17 years ago

What are your dh's lounging habits? Does he lie down on the sofa or has he ever fallen asleep in an upright position while reading or watching tv? If so get a recliner. If he doesn't then I don't think you can go wrong with either purchase.

My dh tried out both and he feel in love with the recliner. We chose Hancock & Moore. Hancock & Moore has a long warrenty on everything and it is very well made. I have a friend who has had one for over 10 yrs and it still looks wonderful. My mom's dh has a Lazy-Boy which is about 5 yrs old, looks worn and is having problems with the mechanism.

Good luck with your decision.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Here's a leather furniture rating...it might be helpful...

Here is a link that might be useful: Leather furniture rating

• tommy88
    14 years ago

I would go with a club chair and an ottoman. A high grade leather chair/ottoman combo give you more versatility and its also more durable than a recliner.