Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buzz32

American Leather vs Campio Group Legacy Leather Sectional

buzz32
9 years ago

I'm in the market for a quality leather sectional. The two that I have found that I like best are "American Leather" out of Texas, and "Legacy Leather" from Campio Group in Canada. Does anyone know the quality of these two, and how they compare? Is there another manufacturer that I should be looking at? They are both more than I was planning on spending, but I'm thinking about biting the bullet unless I can find something comparable for less.
Thanks

Comments (12)

• Idealistic
    9 years ago

If you want American Leather stay away from Leathercraft.

• buzz32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

American Leather is a brand. Does anyone out there have any experience with it?

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

Both of these companies make a nice product. Legacy leather has a solid hardwood frame and a drop in coil spring unit as opposed to a true 8 way hand tied spring unit. American leather has a plywood frame and rather than springs uses Pirelli webbing for their suspension. Leathercraft has a 5/4 hardwood frame and a true 8 way hand tied hand knotted spring unit. Personally I think Leathercraft makes an excellent product, once of the best in the industry. But mine is just an opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Ask about the cushions and cushion options, study the leathers used and examine the tailoring and then make your own judgement.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

We have two W.Schillig leather sectionals. Both were made in their factory in China. We got both styles in the same black, semi-aniline/protected leather grade (76 or 77?), with matching-color stitching (no charge for contrasting stitching).

The first sectional had a few issues on delivery; chipped feet, packing creases, a smudge of something in one small spot, and it exhibited "pocketing" in/on one section of seat cushion. We were very upset, and initially wanted a replacement, but allowed the store to send out a professional to do his "magic"--he "ironed" out the packing creases (which continued to smooth out during use), removed the smudge, and had the store order new feet. The pocketing resolved itself as the foam regained its shape and resiliency (from the wrapping, shipping....).

We ordered our second sectional from a different store (because of a terrific sale event at that store the time). We were (and continue to be) happy with the first sectional after the "repairs" were completed, so felt comfortable ordering a second W.Schillig sectional. This particular store (out-of-state) actually has items come to their store or warehouse first, to be checked over before they are delivered to the customers. This sectional arrived in perfect condition. The couch is beautiful, and super-comfy (this one is in our family room).

• dutseal
    9 years ago

Hi Freethinker99:

I have been reading your posts about Legacy Leather and I have a few questions. Legacy Leather uses the drop in coil spring system as opposed to the true 8 hand way hand tied spring unit, right?

I went to their website today and read some conflicting information. If you click on this link

http://campio-group.com/quality-construction/

It says that Campio Group (Legacy Leather) uses the 8 way hand tied.

Is the Drop In Coil Spring system still better than the Sinuous spring system? I am about to purchase the Bolla Leather Sectional made by Legacy Leather.

Thanks in advance for your advice...have a good day.

• dutseal
    9 years ago

Hi Buzz32:

Which leather sofa did you finally buy...or are you still shopping around?

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

I happened to look at this post and clicked on your link. It soes say right on their site they use a drop in unit. the issue with a drop in unit it is a unit made outside the furniture and screwed into the frame so it doesn't add any tortional strength to the whole sytem,. With a true 8 way tied piece there are metal bands across the base and all the tieing of the springs which all contribute to make a really solid piece. In my opinion a real way tied piece will last longer and sit better. All that being said Legacy from Toronto does make a very nice piece.

• dutseal
    9 years ago

Hi Freethinker:

Thanks for your clarifying. I was debating between Legacy Leather from Toronto and Maple's Leather Furniture in North Carolina, and ended up ordering from Maple's.

I appreciate your input :)

• HU-632733
    8 years ago

Hi Anthony from Rawhide International

We are the manufacturer of all furniture featured on our website.

From the building of the hardwood frame to the bench made finished product we do it all, and do not charge for alterations.

Over 500 leathers and 1000's of fabrics to choose from.

Visit our new factory / Showroom at 920 Caledonia Rd #3 Toronto

• cscappaticci
    7 years ago

I'm looking at the Legacy Leather Calgary sofa. I searched their website and the web but can't find what grade leather it is aniline, full aniline, semi-aniline or something else? Can you help?

• cscappaticci
    7 years ago

Got my answer. Campio referred me to and gave me the phone number for their Woodley's rep. Full aniline leather