Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magmason

Is this shoddy workmanship?

magmason
12 years ago

Hi,

After an exhaustive search and not finding a true leather (not bicast) ottoman in the size I wanted, I had one custom made according to specs I copied from the Pottery Barn Sullivan. When I went to pick it up today, after unwrapping it discovered the finish on the legs had been marred by the wrapping...apparently they wrapped it before it was completely dry. The owner of the company immediately agreed to have it fixed, so no problem there. However, when it was on its side, I noticed staples and the black fabric duster on the bottom showed through between the leather and the wood apron/base. Note this isn't deep underneath the piece, but low on the outside. Not visible if you're standing over it, but visible nonetheless.

I didn't like that, and said so. The owner told me I was being overly picky, that I could only see it if I was lying on the floor next to it, and that she couldn't have it altered. After I left, I called her and told her I didn't think it looked right, that I shouldn't be able to see any staples or duster fabric sticking out the sides past the apron. She again insisted I was too picky, said she'd been in the furniture business for a long time and this was standard. She said she would see if they could clean it up, but again said I was too picky and if it didn't meet my standards she would refund my deposit. I am paying $800 for this ottoman. If I AM on the floor (stretching or whatnot) I don't want staples showing, and I think it is reasonable to expect a clean finish on all parts of the furniture that is in view. Am I being too picky?

Comments (2)