Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Couch Decision

Posted by octoberdana (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 22:58

We have a 6 year old red microfiber couch that needs to be replaced. It has a matching loveseat that is still in very good condition as it hardly gets used- it's mostly there for when we have company.

DH really wants a reclining sofa. He originally picked out one that looks like it should go in a media room (cupholders, remote holders, etc). I vetoed it. We only have ONE room that we can put a couch in and it is more than a TV room.

DH is only open to microfiber as he hates leather and he doesn't want cloth because we have a cat.

We went to the furniture stores this weekend and every couhc he falls in love with is reclining. I do not like the look of reclining sofas- they do not look like sofas to me. They look like chairs all fused together.

Anyway, we are trying to work out a compromise. We have three options:
Buy a new stationary couch/loveseat and incorporate a recliner into the living room (this would require major rearranging of the furniture)

Buy a new reclining loveseat & couch. My fear with this option is that the loveseat would be a huge waste of money- as we don't need it to recline and they cost significantly more than stationary ones.

Buy a new reclining couch and use the current loveseat. We would then have two different colors and styles going on in the room.

Since I'm very traditional and DH is very contemporary and cares about comfort we are trying to work a compromise.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Couch Decision

Option 4 - Get a new husband.....Only kidding! (I couldn't resist)

Ultimately, I think you would be happiest with the stationary sofa and a recliner. However, another compromise would be to buy a sofa or sectional with a chaise at one end. Do you think he would be open to this?

Good luck.

o
RE: Help with Couch Decision

I am in agreement with Karsha-- purchase a new sofa that YOU adore and a separate recliner, side table and light for your husband. Discard the older love seat, it won't match anything. No reclining sofa-you will never like the looks of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here