Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogpound_gw

8 way hand tied sofa on a tight budget

dogpound
16 years ago

I really want a eight way hand tied leather sofa but not willing to spend Hancock & Moore prices, can anyone give me a cheaper alternative but still good quality?

Comments (11)

• furnone
    16 years ago

Try McKinley Leather. Comparable quality at lower prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: McKinley Leather

• cedar_hill
    16 years ago

Checkout Smith Brothers. Amish made. www.smithbrosfurn.com

• sds333
    16 years ago

Stickley and Hickory Chair both make real 8 way hand tied furniture. It is very good quality. It's still not exactly cheap, but it's not as expensive as Hancock and Moore. I know Stickley does a lot of leather, and it's beautiful and comfortable. I'm not positive if Hickory Chair does leather, but their website can tell you for sure.
    Good luck!

• musetta
    16 years ago

Check out the Lee Industries website for styles and dimensions, and request swatches. In October, order your Lee sofa from a Crate and Barrel furniture store during their annual "25% off custom furniture" sale. We are so happy with the Lee fabric sofa we got last October. (They have leather as well.) It's solid, well made, and supremely comfortable with the extra-frim cushion option. With tax and delivery it was about $2300.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    16 years ago

You shouldnt buy upholstery based solely on which a manufacturer claims is a 8-way hand tied seat. Look at what your needs are for durability, comfort, and looks- then buy accordingly.
    Yes, its a very tough time now for furniture manufacturers and retailers. Major shake-outs are going on in the industry. Their will be a continuation of furniture manufactures moving to lower cost countries. The quality is improving for imported upholstery from Asia, but very few can match the quality from better manufactures in the US. So many US and European manufactures and retailers are coming here to Asia and looking only for the lowest price they can get.
    To be able to make a good decision when buying furniture is to truly educate yourself on all the aspects what makes a quality sofa.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    16 years ago

We're going with Lee as well. I know 8 way hand tied doesn't mean what it used to, but it seems the manufacturers that skimp on the seat, seem to skimp on most everything else too. After seeing the frame of our Broyhill sofa disintegrate in less than 2 years of daily use I decided I'd rather pay 3K for a sofa once than $800 every 3-5 yrs.
    BTW, what is going to make your sofa expensive *isn't* the hand tied seats, it's the leather. Really good qaulity leather is expensive. In the end, we decided to go with a slipcovered sofa instead which cost 2/3 the price. We're just waiting for the CB sale this Fall.

• nchomestore
    16 years ago

We manufacture leather and slipcovered furniture in NC. Eight way hand tie is about a $100 upgrade on our standard spring system so it is no big deal. We can make you something far better than a chinese made sofa at prices far less than H & M. if you are interested I will give yu site etc.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

I purchased both a Lee upolstered sofa last yr and a H&M leather -
    Lee was in the clearance dept of local furniture store I think it was $1485 (orig 3,303)- best $$$ I ever spent on new furniture!

H&M sofa (chancellor) - large sofa was orig $8150 we purchased for $4890

my pt is it depends on what you are willing to spend - also there are deals out there you really have to go on a hunt!

Good luck

• dcollie
    16 years ago

Interesting thread. Here's my take on it, from someone who sells all levels of upholstery. Like you may expect, the good stuff lasts longer! Thats the bottom line. So, when you take a brand like H&M, sure its more on the front end, but you can get an honest 30 years out that sofa using reasonable care standards, and its comfortable every single day of those years. Lesser brands might go half that before need replacement, and won't sit as well or look as nice. Your cost of ownership amortized over the lifespan of the piece is going to be less PER YEAR with a premium brand.

If it's un-affordable, then that's another matter altogether.

• Rayman23
    12 years ago

Recently - Jan,2012 - bought a sofa and chair from a local retailer in Waterford Ct. that carried Temple 8 way hand tied furmiture. Got matching set of this mid level NC manufacturer's product at clearance price of $1699. Temple has an informative website that I checked out before buying. Some of the other local retailers I checked out did not carry 8 wayht, and others suggested it was not even available, and other said machine tied was just as good. I was not deterred by their spiel, because I had an 8 way ht couch for over 2o years and I was determined to get another one because of the quality and comfort. Hope this helps.