Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
id2014

Calligaris furniture quality?

ID2014
11 years ago

I was looking for some more affordable options for dining chairs for my new Saarinen table and discovered Calligaris. I like the styles and the furniture is well priced, especially for items made in Italy. Does anyone have experience with the quality of the brand? It is not available locally, although I will be to several cities with retailers so i plan to try them before I buy.

These are the chairs I'm considering:

Here is a link that might be useful: chair

Comments (11)

• ID2014
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for all of the information! I will definitely see the chairs in person and examine them carefully before I make my decision. I also found one chair at Room and Board I like that is a similar price, but everything else I've found is 1k per chair and up.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Chairs are so expensive, especially when you consider getting a number of them to place around a decent-size DR table. We felt the Calligaris chair was a reasonable option with regards to style, price, and quality.

Good luck!

• mgjust
    8 years ago

After only 8 years my Calligaris barstools literally
    started coming apart. The only time people even sat in them is when we
    had a
    party so we definitely didn't get 8 years worth of use. I tried reaching out to
    the manufacturer in Italy and they said too bad they stopped making them
    and don't have replacement pieces even though I offered to buy them. Now
    mind you the three chairs were just under $3,000. I've gotten
    more wear out of IKEA furniture than this extremely overpriced Italian
    garbage.
    Stay away from this furniture manufacturer if you don't want to waste
    your money. BTW here's the kicker they offered me 15% on buying a new
    set... after seeing how bad they were constructed and how their
    "customer service" was I took a pass and am looking at Danish style
    designs instead.

‪#‎Calligarisjunk‬

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    8 years ago

The style of this chair with minimal thickness especially the back, as such requires the back inside piece and outside piece be sewed together and fitted very tightly around the frame, so this kind of problem I have seen a number of times before.

Upholstery product designers many times doesn't fully understand how their designs can become a problem under normal use. The manufacturers product development team should have been aware also that this type of design can have seam slippage at the corners, depending on the type of material and the setup on the sewing machine as well as any operator error.

• mgjust
    8 years ago

It wasn't seam slippage ... the leather tore at the seam. Poor quality materials and bad manufacturing caused the damage. Still to charge such prices for this low quality means there is a fault within the company's policies. To add insult to injury they essentially tell you, too bad your problem not ours. Calligaris quality and customer care is nowhere near what they purport it to be.

• Nik
    7 years ago

Horrible quality! Don't buy!

I bought about $15,000 worth of Calligaris furniture and every piece has something going wrong with it. They're impossible to get in contact with to voice your complaint (how convenient). Just the worst piece of cra* furniture I've ever bought! Here is a pic of my lounge chairs I bought. The upholstery has completely disintegrated. These were decorative pieces that were almost never used. They began discolouring and peeling after only 2 years.

• Anthony Ingemi
    5 years ago

DON'T BUY CALLIGARIS FURNITURE!!!! This company will not stand behind their products. Stay away. Faux leather products are NOT GOOD material. We bought a Calligaris faux leather headboard in late 2011. The item looked nice when it was new but after a few years the beige material used for the padded leather backboard started to fail. It failed so miserably that it started to peel off the fabric. Very cheap quality!! We called the customer service representative, Stacey and she was helpful at first. I asked if the company would stand behind the product. She said yes and proceeded to lead us down a rabbit hole of emails. After going back and forth several times, we didn't hear from her again. I mean CRICKETS. No response at all!!!! My latest email even showed my bank statement, proving that we purchased from a local retailer which has since gone out of business. We have no other recourse but to call our attorney. I guess we're stuck with a terrible quality headboard that we paid close to $800.00. I WISH THERE WAS A DEVICE FOR POSTING PHOTOS OF THIS PRODUCT - WORDS AREN'T ENOUGH TO DO JUSTICE FOR THIS REVIEW.

• HU-260944753
    3 years ago

If you want the quality of leather, don't cheap out and hope to get something that lasts like leather. I have designed Calligaris for many homes over the past 15 years and their products are awesome. Each of the pictures posted are for faux leather and are clearly overstressed and broken down by some type of chemical or sever sun abuse. It is not right to slander a 95+ year brand and product that has a reputation for having tables and chairs in primary use for over 20 years because you chose the wrong material of the dozens they make their products in.

Calligaris is a great brand, they don't sell a bed for $800 and I will continue to use them for my design projects where reasonable price for unparalleled quality modern furniture is the right fit.

• Iris
    3 years ago

@HU-260944753 - I am researching Calligaris furniture now and came across this thread. I have noticed that there are Calligaris stores in Boca and Miami (I'm in South Florida) and am wondering if they are part of the same brand (and if you know if the quality is the same).

• jlova
    3 months ago

I would stay clear of Calligaris. Their warranty is poor given the prices thry charge. i bought a sofa from thrm and had peoblems the whole time. the actual frame fell apart. $6k 5 years ago. complete junk..

The sad part is I was deciding between Calligaris and boconcept and the lady at boconcept said i would regret going with Calligaris. She was right. Boconcept at least offers 5 year standard warranty. calligaris might as well be ikea.