Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heathernj

Better than Bassett - Sofa Suggestions Please

heathernj
13 years ago

I like the Bassett furniture Custom Classics sleep sofa with the tight back, 3 cushion seat and exposed legs. BUT, I was turned off by the crappy fabrics (they looked worn in the showroom and none seemed very sturdy in the sample room) AND the fact that most of my searches have come up with negative reviews of Bassett's upholstered items. Also the prices are up there but I got it down to my price range by getting a quote through NC.

see pic here...

http://www.bassettfurniture.com/store/productDetailForm.asp?imgid=18570&Seq=1

Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar sofa that would be a better bet than Bassett. OR maybe you have a good experience with Bassett you could share.

What I'd like in a sofa is:

ÂTight Back

ÂThree Cushion seat

ÂSleeper sofa (doesn't have to be the absolute best sleeper, will get used a few weeks a year for guests)

ÂNO Skirts (any kind of legs are ok - wood preferred)

ÂNeeds to be on the firm side or have an option to upgrade to firm cushions (bad knees and back so firm is easier to get up from)

ÂWould like to stay under $1800 if possible

ÂDurable fabric options (have a dog)

Comments (6)

• xine
    13 years ago

We just finished shopping for a sectional and looked at the Bassett custom stuff. We ended up buying Smith Bros., but I don't know if they have a style you are looking for. I do remember that Henredon had a similar "custom" program like Bassett's -- pick the back/cushions, arms, fabric, legs/skirt, etc. Prices were similar to Bassett. Also look at Sherrill. My mom's had a Sherrill sofa for years and years and years that has held up really nicely and is made very well.

• Nikkikling
    12 years ago

Heather, it's over a year since you posted your message, but I am in a quite similar situation as yours, also looking for a tight back, transitional/contemporary design. I've researched as many American-made sofa companies as possible, but only some are available for purchase here in TX. Rowe, Stickley, Alan White, Huntington House as well as Bassett and Ethan Allen are what we're mulling over. Today I ran across a 2 cushion, fitted back sofa on clearance on Bassett's website for a great price, but they no longer have them available to see on showroom floors. I'd like to hear what your experience was, whether you bought from Bassett or not, and if you found another mfr that was in a similar price range and good quality. I hope you found what you're looking for--it would give me hope!

• mom270
    12 years ago

If you're near a Crate & Barrel in Texas, you might want to check out the Cameron sofa, on sale through Oct. 16. Tight back, modern looking, made in NC. Like you, I'm sofa shopping so I can't report on quality. There are a few reviews online.

• Nikkikling
    12 years ago

Thanks for that tip, mom270. We lost our C&B in Southlake early this year, and we're bummed. I actually managed to narrow down a couple styles w/ 2 cushion seating (less cushions to keep straight) that are Rowe and Craftmaster and quite similar. Will be posting in a new thread to try to get more recent good or bad reports on those 2 brands. Good luck with your search!

• walterdoggy
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments...I am looking at a design your own Bassett couch with sleeper capability. Has anyone ever tried their sleeper? Would it be ok for occasional use. I like a firm couch, but with the sleeper...Do the cushions hold up ok? Give me your thoughts. Thanking you in advance!

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

The thing with a sleeper is no matter what type of spring unit is used, it is not used when you are installing a sleeper mechanism. I am sure that Basset uses a plywood frame and a 5/4 hardwood frame would be better, but you will find that most manufacturers do use plywood frames.You might want to look at what type of mechanism they use, what cushions they use, do they have an option for example of a spring down cushion which would be good to use in a sleep sofa as when you sit on a sleep sofa you are essentially sitting on a folded up mattress which is a very firm surface. You might also want to look at their mattress and see if there are any options. Keep in mind that sleep sofas do not sit as well as sofas. However if you need a sleep sofa and you are happy with the fabric and the tailoring than I think Basset would be as good as most in the industry.