Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollie_z9

Beach house + Leather Sofa...Good Idea?

hollie_z9
12 years ago

I have moved into our beach house permanently and redecorating to make it a proper house.

Looking for living room sofa and considering leather. I now have a white slipcovered sofa that is constantly dirty, so hard to wash, I hate it.

I thought leather could work, was looking for a sand color but those aren't as durable as a harder leather, are they? And I want a modern look.

Biggest problem is people coming in from the beach with lotions on them and getting on sofas. How would leather stand up to this, and which kind of leather is best?

I've tried getting on Duane's forum but my login is never accepted. I want a very deep, modern sofa and most of H&Ms look traditional.

House is in northern california, Santa Cruz.

Hollie

Comments (10)

• Dovetales
    12 years ago

I lived in a beach house in New England for 14 years and even rented it out in the summers for 9 of those years and I had a leather sofa. I loved it and never had a problem. It was easy to keep clean and several wet bathing suits sat on it at various times but it always seemed to dry without any problem. Though mine was a chestnut colored sofa, the type that, as it ages, it takes on a nice vintage look. In fact, 14 years later, the only thing to finally ruin the sofa was the dog!

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dovetails, was your sofa the "hard" leather kind as opposed to a soft to the touch leather?

colinsmith...I've just had it with washing that slipcover and can't wrangle it back on anymore. I also have slipcovers in another room that are so tight they can't be taken off for washing (Pottery Barn).

When I've had slipcovers made they cost me as much as a new sofa would cost.

Hollie

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

There is a current thread on the Home Decorating forum here that is being posted to about this same topic. The link is below and will give you some people's thoughts there!

Here is a link that might be useful: topic on beachy style and leather sofa

• novanaka_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I live right on the beach.Considering getting a leather sofa,but there is so much salt and humidity in my house that destroys everything. I wonder if leather is a good idea?
    help!

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    12 years ago

When you live close to the beach, everything that can rust will rust and every material that absorbs moisture will mold.

So, purchase your upholstery accordingly, no springs, elastic webbing only, any exposed nails or staples will rust, use foam cores design for quick dry, usually referred to as dry-fast foams, leather is usually unaffected by the salt or moisture, except leather doesnt breath well so moisture will build up in the furniture more so than fabric.

• dianne47
    12 years ago

Wow, since when is it OK to flop down on furniture in a wet swimsuit - beach locale, leather, or not? As long as there are reasonable "rules" for sitting down on the sofa, why not get leather?

• KVictory
    12 years ago

DO NOT BUY LazyBoy furniture.
    I thought I was buying a quality brand.
    I paid twice as much for the LazyBoy
    Furniture than anything in Raymour
    Flanigans or JC Penney, Macys etc..
    They promised me quality and service.
    They lied. Since the day I received the
    Furniture almost a $3000 purchase,
    I have had problems. I have made numerous
    Phone calls and emails and I don�t even get a
    Call back. This company does not stand
    Behind their products even within the first
    Minute it arrives. They completely ignore
    You. I would have never dreamed a company
    Like this would have such a bad attitude.
    PLEASE HEED THIS WARNING. I WISH SOMEONE
    WARNED ME. SHAME ON LAZYBOY.

• BradleyS
    12 years ago

There are leather sofas that are easy to clean like those made in domestic leathers, which boast a unique protective finish that can repel any type of spills.

• mamades
    12 years ago

Similar subject with house near beach but thinking of Denim vs. microfiber- just because Denim looks more casual , etc. Whicjh do you think with sand and in my house- snacks vs. wet suits. Thanx

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH