Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Are posted furniture dimensions true or a bit overstated?

sayde
10 years ago

Trying to decide on a chair from photos and posted dimensions. The manufacturer does state that these dimensions are "approximate". I am wondering if they are in fact overstated. My actual loveseat is two inches shorter (seat height) than the dimensions given online.

I am wondering whether the manufacturers always measure out to the tippy top of the crown, and whether they might slightly overstate outside dimensions to assure no surprises when getting the furniture installed and place.

I see a chair I like (picture at Manufacturers website). It's dimensions say the seat height is 21. If it is really 19 or 20 it would be great but it if is really 21 (and does not compress when sitting) it would be too high. So this is really an important decision factor.

Would appreciate any insight on this. . . .

Comments (3)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    10 years ago

Manufacturers prefer to error on the larger of the sizes they measure, as upholstery is crafted by hand with many different types of materials and variations is expected. But should be within a 1". I suggest contacting the manufacturer directly for your concerns of the seating height. This is a good way to know the level of customer service they provide, to help in making your purchasing decision.

• sayde
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you rmanbike. It is so difficult to buy a chair when there are so few to sit on -- but even if you were to find a chair you liked in a showroom, the chair you get might have slightly different measurements -- and an inch or seat depth plus an inch of seat height could make a huge difference.

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

I was led to believe that variation in furniture sizing was plus or minus 2" although most furniture is usally within 1/2"