Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a way to get hairline scratches out of wood furniture?

Posted by estreya (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 17:36

Hello everyone! I've got some hairline scratches on the surfaces of a few pieces of "fine" wood furniture that i'd like to somehow "buff" out. The scratches seem to be more on the finish than into the wood itself. I simply don't have the budget to have these things professionally refinished, so i'm hoping there might be a product or method to get the scratches out myself.

Will "Restore A Finish" work?

I may try lemon oil, but somehow, i think this is more than lemon oil can influence.

Advise?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a way to get hairline scratches out of wood furnitur

Lemon oil, which is simply mineral oil with a splash of color and fragrance, and Restor-a-finish will at best provide temporary relief.

Buffing them out with an abrasive compound might work, if they are not too deep. But this will likely change the sheen, if you don't mind. You could also start out with a P400 or finer sandpaper and work your way through finer grits.

Unless you go really crazy, you are not likely to ruin it, but you may get yourself in a place that you can't get yourself out of.

Here is a link that might be useful: rubbing out finishes

o

Try old english furniture oil in dark.....I use it all of the time to cover scratches in furniture....You will be amazed at how the scratches will disappear with a dab of the dark oil.....

o

Thank you for your responses, guys! Bobsmyuncle, that link is fantastic. It's a bit nervous making for sure, the very notion of taking anything that even remotely resembles sand paper to the wood. But i suppose that's what a "professional" would do.

I'll have to ruminate. May try that old english first ... ;)

Thanks again!

o

estreya.....i just looked at my bottle of old english and on the front label it states that it is scratch cover for dark wood......anyway...hope it works...

o
more

another link by the same author.

I have "revived" a few dining tables that were showing age by simply a thorough cleaning(as described in the link), a light scuff sanding, and a couple of coats of brushing lacquer (Deft or Watco). If the existing finish is lacquer (most factory finishes are), it bonds fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving the finish

o

Old English Scratch Cover works quite well on some tables I have tried to touch up. It is the dark coffee furniture oil. (They also make a yellow lemon oil. ) Sometimes the wood will not absorb the coloring, and other times it will. The hardware store also sells "markers" to touch up scratches. Buy the trio kit and plan to touch it up a few times to get the tone you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here