Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is that futon smell?

Posted by thetoe (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 16:36

Every futon I have ever been near has presented what I find to be an offensive smell. I have a much more sensitive nose than most people, so perhaps most people don't notice it. But as far as I can tell, all futons have a very strong smell which I cannot identify (not just new ones either... a futon can be brand new or ten years old, and it will have the same strong smell).

Can anyone tell me what it is about futons that gives them that smell? I assume it is a treatment, perhaps for fire retardation? Or maybe it is the materials.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is that futon smell?

Outgassing of the inner core materials. Most fire retardant is done with Boric Acid, which is largely odorless.

There are ways to get custom futons that do not smell, but they will not be inexpensive.

o

I was inclined to think it was something offgassing, but... offgassing is supposed to decrease over time. I have a %+ year-old futon which smells every bit as terrible as it did the day I got it. Just like every other futon I have been near , regardless of their age.

In any event, if it is simply a continuous outgassing of core material, then... what is the core material?

Thanks!

o

just another reason to NEVER get a futon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here