Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alintoff4_gw

King Hickory???

alintoff4
15 years ago

We saw a sectional that we like by a brand called "King Hickory". It is in the creative rooms collection....anyone have any input on this company...how is the quality???

Thanks!

Jill

Comments (28)

• alintoff4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! We are between King Hickory and Bradington Young....can't decide which one!! I never pay furniture store prices. I go through a place in NYC called M.Katz and Sons (www.katzfurniture.com). They always have the best prices. For my last purchase (an American Drew dining room set) they beat the N.Carolina prices by a lot. I think it is egregious that furniture stores charge in comparison to M.Katz or the N.Carolina places....unbelievable! Which N.Carolina place did you go through. I would definitely price it out through the same one as well....thanks! Jill

• carmela39
    14 years ago

Jill,
    I also go through Katz furniture in NYC. We are toying between King Hickory and BY but I am trying to find out if BY has a married cover for their sectional. What did you go with BY or Great Rooms?
    Carmela

• carmela39
    14 years ago

Jill,
    I also go through Katz furniture in NYC. We are toying between King Hickory and BY but I am trying to find out if BY has a married cover for their sectional. What did you go with BY or Great Rooms?
    Carmela

• deniser_2010
    13 years ago

Chalise,
    Hello, I am very interested in your comment about not buying from local furniture stores. I love King Hickory and have our furniture set all picked out but would love to save a little $. So are you saying there are numerous manufacturers that will make King Hickory? I am from Colorado so when I googled 'furniture manufacturers Highpoint' I could not tell the difference between a manufacturer and a retail store. Do you by any chance still have the names of the manufacturers you were referrign to? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• deborah1950
    13 years ago

I am also looking for a sofa, so thanks for the info. Has anyone heard of Hickorycraft? I saw a sofa made by this company at a Thomasville Furniture store and wondered about the quality. It was very firm and actually about as comfortable any other that I tried. Thanks for the tips about bargaining. I want a good sofa at a fair price. I expect these things to last, and was initially wanting leather. Now I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

• san2764
    9 years ago

I saw the message about getting bids from NC furniture but didn't see a response as to who to contact? Anyone have any info about this?

• newfolkways
    9 years ago

Dear Deniser and others,
    I too am from Colorado and attracted to the Melrose series from King Hickory. Woodley's in our area doesn't show all the furniture, naturally, but in particular, I cannot find the Melrose in Colorado.
    How have you been doing? And how have you solved your situation?
    Thanks,
    Barbara Carson, Newfolkways

• PRO
    Malcon Construction
    8 years ago

I have had a King Hickory Sofa and Chair and a Half for between 8-10 years and it is STILL incredible. It looks great, it feels just as unbelievably comfortable as it was when I first purchased it. Yes, I have taken good care of it BUT it has been very well loved and used- as it has been in our main family room and I have allowed our small dogs to get on it (while covered) children, movie watching/ laying, etc.

I have the King Hickory Katherine sofa and chair and a half. It is a distressed leather and chenille fabric combo.

I have had numerous people including my son and daughter in law offer to buy it multiple times because of it's comfort.

I can't say enough good things about this brand. I highly recommend it. And no I am not in any way affiliated by the company or any furniture company :).

• sashirey
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I also saw the comment about getting bids for King Hickory furniture. Does anyone have names of companies to contact that have the lower priced than local furniture stores? I purchased a King Hickory chair and a half and just love it. Would like to get a matching sofa or sectional but the local prices are so high. Thanks, Ann in Minnesota

• kbear_15
    7 years ago

Curious how chalise was able to call various manufacturers to get pricing. Most furniture I'm looking at - I go to their website directly and they say they only sell through authorized dealers. How do you go about finding manufacturers for your specific furniture company? Thanks!

• ericjregan
    7 years ago

what's wrong with buying local- even at a premium? It seems like calling to get competitive quotes from places in N.C. is just waisting the N.C. peoples' time to drive down a local retailer's price. SMH...

• shari13
    7 years ago

I have a King Hickory sofa that is 20 years old and has held up quite well and does not need to be replaced yet (due to wear - style perhaps!).

• Kimberly Miller
    6 years ago

King Hickory is a group of very mean spirited people - after they fouled up my order they refused to fix it and all they said was we are going to just cancel your order - who ever heard of such a thing?

• Kimberly Miller
    6 years ago

i would recommend ambella - their construction is far superior - and their cushions are much better quality.

• jody0401
    6 years ago

I BOUGHT A KING HICKORY SOFA, 2 CHAIRS, AND AN OTTMAN 24 YEARS AGO. THEY ARE ALL IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND USED REGULARLY. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BRAND. THE QUALITY IS OUTSTANDING !!!! I DO TAKE CARE OF IT BY REGULAR VACUUMING AND TURNING CUSHIONS. I CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THIS BRAND. I WILL DEFINITELY BUY THIS BRAND AGAIN!!

• Peter W
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

King Hickory

Still perfect condition 2 years later even with 5 kids, including 3 teenagers.

See my experience here...

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/small-scale-sectional-with-wedge-dsvw-vd~3608540[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/small-scale-sectional-with-wedge-dsvw-vd~3608540)

And here...

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-experience-with-smith-brothers-of-berne-in-dsvw-vd~2381070[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-experience-with-smith-brothers-of-berne-in-dsvw-vd~2381070)

Ended up with a local retailer, but saved over a thousand. I do not think getting competitive pricing in other states is wasting their time. We were ready to order from Lexington KY if our local retailer would not come down to our price. Saving $1,000 off sale prices to $1,600 off retail prices on a sectional is worth a few calls, and inquiries are welcomed. Also realize your local store will not sell you a sectional at a loss, just a more reasonable price if you have competitive bids.

• Jane Ericson
    6 years ago

I called Furnitureland South (FLS) in NC and they were only slightly cheaper than local - maybe 2-5%. I found a smaller non-chain retailer near me of King Hickory & with tax and delivery, they were identical to Furnitureland South. I don't know who else to call in NC. FLS was a lot cheaper on Century, though. Go figure.

I absolutely love the fabrics King Hickory has. I don't know who does their buying but they blow everyone out of the water - and I am including Century in this, among others. I am not into their rustic Americana thing really, but their highlands fabrics are so cool. I never see things like that from others - particularly in the neutral range of beige / brown / cream since everyone has turned to grey these days.

• peter_j_falco
    5 years ago

I am looking at King Hickory which I believe is also called Hickory Manor sofas, specifically the Winston collection. Does anyone have a comment on the quality of their leather as well as their softer cushions that have down in the cushion which we are considering?

• danmbcomcast
    5 years ago

Can anyone with experience compare for me King Hickory and CR Laine?

• kritter31671
    4 years ago

DONT ORDER KING HICKORY OR FROM FURNITURELAND SOUTH

Don't order from King Hickory or Furnitureland South. I ordered and paid 50% deposit on 11/30/2018...today is 4/2/2019..I am waiting 4mos for a sectional that was scheduled to take 9-11wks. I was just told yesterday fabric is still backordered and will be another 3mos!!

50% deposit was paid and it will be 7 MONTHS (if the fabric comes in) for my sectional to be delivered.

• menio67
    4 years ago

I am looking for a sleeper sofa for a rental property and am liking the Candice Queen Sofa Bed by King Hickory. I am trying to get SOME idea of how expensive these sofas are, but have had no luck so far. Just a ballpark for chenille fabric. Can anyone provide me with an idea of what they have paid for their King Hickory sofa?

• Barb H
    3 years ago

We purchased king hickory sofa with chaise and upgraded to down cushions. With 200 freight it was 3400. Saved at least $1,000 going thru Furnitureland South! They were awesome to work with!! Love the quality of King Hickory!

• Melissa Lai
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Barb, we were just at FLS and also looking at a king Hickor sofa + chaise. Curious, what product line did you purchase for $3,400?

• deeinohio
    3 years ago

Before you buy, make sure to get a quote from Joe at Lexington Furniture in Kentucky. He beat FLS prices by several hundred dollars on 2 Lexington Home furniture pieces. We have purchased many times through them.

• PRO
    Tara Duncan of Bennington Furniture
    3 years ago

Everyone should ask their local Furniture store for a better price. Most retailers WILL change the price when you tell them you found it somewhere else for less. Not to mention if you have a warranty claim you aren’t waiting for someone across the country to come to you. And best of all you support your local economy! There is nothing I hate more than uninformed people giving an opinion when really none of the comments about ordering from another state to get the best price are true! Brick and mortar stores will work with you on price they know they have to compete with people falling for the garbage they find on Wayfair. King hickory is Furniture that will last but that doesn’t mean you need to pay retail to get it. All you have to do is ask your local retailer what the best price is, and tell them you found it somewhere else for less online. Unless they are a huge chain most smaller retailers will discount the items to at least match the pricing. Sorry I to rant a little but the start of this conversation was super frustrating and extremely inaccurate. It is that kind of mentality that will put Brick and Mortar stores out of business so you will have no place to go and take pictures of tags and model numbers off the pieces OR actually sit in the model!!! I agree with most of the other comments about king Hickory being beautifully built and extremely comfortable. TY

• Peter W
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Tara I appreciate your comment about trying to find it local....Notice that I ended up buying local even though it cost me about 7 percent more.

However, furniture is expensive and local shops are sometimes way overpriced. I am willing to pay a fair price and shops deserve a fair profit.

One problem with the industry is the rebranding of furniture (King Hickory included) to avoid comparison shopping.

Another is false statements by salesmen who work on commission.

I am not in the industry and have no dog in the fight but I am glad the truth about rebranding and price gouging is getting out.

You claim there is false information on Hozz, but will not point out any specifics. The furniture business is one of the last to be cleaned up by consumers being informed by info they find online.

Paying $1500 more for a sectional than what a fair orice commands is gauging, and is often the difference between the "sale" price and what can be had with comparison shopping once you know which products with different manufacturer's names actually come off the same assembly lines.

I see you work for or own a local shop.

Wayfair will not be the last online retailer to upset the industry. If online shops don't satisfy the customers, the word gets out.

• HU-279415971
    3 years ago

We have had our sofa and chairs for over 25 years. The pattern is dated but the structure is still in great shape, the cushions are still properly shaped. that's why I keep it around. However we bought a Lazy Boy sofa for the family room 12 years ago, the cushions are all deformed and the springs are showing through. Yes the Lazy Boy was a bit cheaper, but in the long run. So if you're disposable consumers buy cheap. If you want quality furniture to last King Hickory is the way to go.