Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
badback88

Any Thoughts on American Leather brand?

badback88
10 years ago

My husband and I visited a contemporary furniture store in our area and they recommended an American Leather motion sofa - does anyone have any experience with that brand? Would it be similar to Leathercraft or H&M quality? We really like the lines of some of their pieces - more contemporary line in general.

Thanks,
BadBack88

Comments (15)

• sas95
    10 years ago

We have a few American Leather pieces. A chair and 2 cocktail ottomans. The look is great, and the quality is very good. I have never owned anything by H&M or Leathercraft so I can't compare to those, but when I compare it to some of the higher end brands I own-- Stickley, Hickory Chair-- American Leather is not in that quality category. But still I have no quality complaints.

One thing I would caution with American Leather, though, is that their customer service is horrible. I had nothing but problems with my ottoman delivery-- it took them almost 7 months to get them to me (although their web site promises 3 week delivery), and one was damaged. It took another 2 months to get a replacement. And though I tried several times via phone, the postal service and email to get in touch with someone at the company to discuss the horrible service I was receiving, no one bothered to get back to me.

So I'd say you'll probably be happy enough with American Leather furniture. Unless you have a problem, in which event I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

This post was edited by sas95 on Tue, May 14, 13 at 14:42

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

Don't know about AmL, but can't speak more highly of H&M service. Fantastic.

• badback88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply, sas95! From what I've been reading their customer service is abysmal. That said, their pieces look nice enough - if, as you said, you have no service issues. I think we may reconsider the Hancock & Moore campaign motion sofa, or the Stickley - they have a great new feature (power recline battery pack so no need for cords).

Thanks again!

• simplyjenny
    10 years ago

One thing to keep in mind is that all motion furniture, no matter who it is made by, is of lesser quality than standard stationary furniture made by the same manufacturer.

There are design compromises that have to be made to accommodate the mechanisms which weaken the frame, and the lifetime of the motion mechanisms is always far less than the rest of the piece. (Electrical mechanisms will usually break down sooner than mechanical mechanisms.)

In general, don't expect your motion furniture to ever become an heirloom item, no matter who you buy it from

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

American Leather makes a good contemporary product. Clean lines, well tailored. They have an interesting sleep sofa program with a unique construction twist.

They do use a plywood frame and a hartdwood frame is preferable.

Hancock and Moore would be a step up as far as contruction but the look is completely different from American leather. Like apples and oranges style wise.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

• wink3956
    10 years ago

Hey all. I cannot recommend the American Leather brand at all, except maybe one of their beds. Their customer service is the worst by the way. I have found their sofas to be very uncomfortable (when sitting) and the cushions are not durable.

Here is a link that might be useful: More American Leather reviews

This post was edited by wink3956 on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 11:47

• Idealistic
    10 years ago

I would stay away form Leathercraft the majority of the leather is made overseas and looks terrible but as I was told in a question from one of the salesman as long as the cushion and back look good go for the rest!!! I have seen many products that look like crap especially from previous markets of theirs.

This post was edited by Idealistic on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 6:38

• adernburg
    9 years ago

I've been tempted to order a sectional from American Leather after sitting on a sofa they make for Room & Board (the Hess) - it was very comfortable. But I've been scared off by the reviews and discussions such as the one here... they seem to have terrible durability and zero customer service. Does anyone have an alternative for high-quality, preferably U.S.-made sectionals with streamlined, mid-century aesthetics?

• lisapa
    9 years ago

Younger makes some sectionals with the aesthetic you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Younger Sectionals

• adernburg
    9 years ago

Thanks lisapa! They do have nice-looking options.

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

Younger and American are constructed in a similar manner with hardwood plywood frames and sinuous spring systems and should last for a comparable period of time. They both have clean contemparary looks.

• pan26123
    5 years ago

American Leather furniture looks beautiful. It felt comfortable in the store. We loved the contemporary look, so ordered a leather sofa sleeper and power recliner in 2015. The comfort of the recliner is average. We've not been happy with the way the seat leather has expanded and wrinkled, but are living with it. The sofa sleeper is super comfortable and relatively easy to set up. That said, the sofa itself is VERY uncomfortable. Even if you have longer legs, you slide forward when seated. Not only that, the cushions actually slide forward too. After people have sat on the sofa, they get uncomfortable. I have to readjust each of the cushions, pushing each cushion back into place. The quality of the leather has remained very nice. While others have commented on this, we have never had a problem with the sofa cushions sagging or flattening. However because of the continual shifting of the cushions and the body sliding forward when seated, I would never recommend this product. We are very sorry for spending so much money for this inferior product and can't wait to get rid of it.

• Anita Kimberlin
    4 years ago

Style in motion battery packs don’t hold a charge so you have to keep them plugged in.

• Hannah Powell
    3 years ago

I have a Lee furniture Industries sofa and two chairs that are all loose cushions and they all fall off too. It is extremely annoying. I just bought an American Leather sofa with fixed bottom and back cushions for this very reason. But that said, don't you folks try a couch before you buy it? I don't understand how you can buy a couch and then complain that it is uncomfortable! Sleeper sofas are always uncomfortable to sit on. That is a compromise you have to make if you really want a sleeper sofa.