Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Thoughts on American Leather brand?

Posted by badback88 (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 13:36

My husband and I visited a contemporary furniture store in our area and they recommended an American Leather motion sofa - does anyone have any experience with that brand? Would it be similar to Leathercraft or H&M quality? We really like the lines of some of their pieces - more contemporary line in general.

Thanks,
BadBack88

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Thoughts on American Leather brand?

We have a few American Leather pieces. A chair and 2 cocktail ottomans. The look is great, and the quality is very good. I have never owned anything by H&M or Leathercraft so I can't compare to those, but when I compare it to some of the higher end brands I own-- Stickley, Hickory Chair-- American Leather is not in that quality category. But still I have no quality complaints.

One thing I would caution with American Leather, though, is that their customer service is horrible. I had nothing but problems with my ottoman delivery-- it took them almost 7 months to get them to me (although their web site promises 3 week delivery), and one was damaged. It took another 2 months to get a replacement. And though I tried several times via phone, the postal service and email to get in touch with someone at the company to discuss the horrible service I was receiving, no one bothered to get back to me.

So I'd say you'll probably be happy enough with American Leather furniture. Unless you have a problem, in which event I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

This post was edited by sas95 on Tue, May 14, 13 at 14:42

o

Thanks for the reply, sas95! From what I've been reading their customer service is abysmal. That said, their pieces look nice enough - if, as you said, you have no service issues. I think we may reconsider the Hancock & Moore campaign motion sofa, or the Stickley - they have a great new feature (power recline battery pack so no need for cords).

Thanks again!

o

Don't know about AmL, but can't speak more highly of H&M service. Fantastic.

o

Thanks for the reply, sas95! From what I've been reading their customer service is abysmal. That said, their pieces look nice enough - if, as you said, you have no service issues. I think we may reconsider the Hancock & Moore campaign motion sofa, or the Stickley - they have a great new feature (power recline battery pack so no need for cords).

Thanks again!

o

One thing to keep in mind is that all motion furniture, no matter who it is made by, is of lesser quality than standard stationary furniture made by the same manufacturer.

There are design compromises that have to be made to accommodate the mechanisms which weaken the frame, and the lifetime of the motion mechanisms is always far less than the rest of the piece. (Electrical mechanisms will usually break down sooner than mechanical mechanisms.)

In general, don't expect your motion furniture to ever become an heirloom item, no matter who you buy it from

o

American Leather makes a good contemporary product. Clean lines, well tailored. They have an interesting sleep sofa program with a unique construction twist.

They do use a plywood frame and a hartdwood frame is preferable.

Hancock and Moore would be a step up as far as contruction but the look is completely different from American leather. Like apples and oranges style wise.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

o

Hey all. I cannot recommend the American Leather brand at all, except maybe one of their beds. Their customer service is the worst by the way. I have found their sofas to be very uncomfortable (when sitting) and the cushions are not durable.

Here is a link that might be useful: More American Leather reviews

This post was edited by wink3956 on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 11:47

o

I would stay away form Leathercraft the majority of the leather is made overseas and looks terrible but as I was told in a question from one of the salesman as long as the cushion and back look good go for the rest!!! I have seen many products that look like crap especially from previous markets of theirs.

This post was edited by Idealistic on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 6:38

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here