Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best type of fabric for dogs

Posted by cathytx3 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 07 at 13:25

We are in the market for either 2 recliners or a sofa. My question is, what type of fabric is best for dogs? They are allowed on the furniture and my main concern is the hair accumulation. Dirt, I can handle. It's constantly having to rub our current couch with a rubber glove that I'd like to get away from.

Leather is out of the question. I kind of like the look of denim but don't know how it'll "wear" after a few years.

Thanks for any help.

Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best type of fabric for dogs

Denim will hold the hair. Any type of microfibre is great for pet hair as the hair falls right off. I'm sure there are other fabrics, that is the only one I'm familiar with.

o

I had a nice denim couch cover but it started wearing out like a pair of jeans in certain areas. I have 2 large labs and only have leather now . Its easier to wipe down and doesn't collect hair.

o

Microfiber and leather are both good. Do the distressed leather that way if you do get a boo boo it will just blend in.

Another thing make sure the color matches the pet. Seriously. I have a black dog an black cats so I have dark furniture and dark carpet. I cat sat a long haired orange cat one time. If I want an orange cat Im gonna need to buy an orange couch. LOL.

o

I have a mastiff and he sleeps on my couch. A microfiber sectional. It is easy to clean even with his hair and slobber.

Here is a link that might be useful: modern furniture

o

I've found that sturdy fabrics such as corduroy hold up very well against both dogs and cats. I recently bought two sofas in heathered velvet from Restoration Hardware, and they've been great. The best fabric is supposed to be Crypton, but I've never actually seen it. Crypton now sells moderately priced sofas in their signature fabrics. When I called to inquire about them, the company was amazingly receptive. They also are quite willing to send out fabric samples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crypton Super Fabrics

o

Stanlie--you are so right!

I'm now trying to decide whether to find a new sofa that matches my black/grey/blond (brindle) terrier, or ...
find a dog that has navy blue fur!

(to OP: bypass chenille texture. it's a real hair-grabber, i've found)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here