Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

Leather sofa: reupholster just seat cushions/evaluating springs?

flseadog
14 years ago

We have a Classic leather sofa that is more than 30 years old. The seat cushions are cracked and ripped in a few places but the rest of the leather is fine although it does show some wear, especially on the arms. I wanted to get a new sofa but the entire family has threatened to disown me if I do so since they all say it is the most comfortable thing they've ever sat in and is perfect for naps. Has anyone just reupholstered the seat cushions? If so how does it look? Did you try to match the leather or did you get a coordinating fabric? Ours cushion covers are removable from the sofa and zip off of the inner padding.

Also, if I'm going to keep the sofa I'd like to fix anything else that may be wrong. Is there a way to tell if sofa springs need to be worked on? (I don't even know what the term for it is). They don't squeak and the sofa really doesn't seem to sag so I don't know what other criteria I could use to evaluate the springs. It's just that the sofa is so old it seems like some sort of tune up would be necessary.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)