Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leather sofa: reupholster just seat cushions/evaluating springs?

Posted by flseadog (My Page) on
Wed, May 20, 09 at 13:13

We have a Classic leather sofa that is more than 30 years old. The seat cushions are cracked and ripped in a few places but the rest of the leather is fine although it does show some wear, especially on the arms. I wanted to get a new sofa but the entire family has threatened to disown me if I do so since they all say it is the most comfortable thing they've ever sat in and is perfect for naps. Has anyone just reupholstered the seat cushions? If so how does it look? Did you try to match the leather or did you get a coordinating fabric? Ours cushion covers are removable from the sofa and zip off of the inner padding.

Also, if I'm going to keep the sofa I'd like to fix anything else that may be wrong. Is there a way to tell if sofa springs need to be worked on? (I don't even know what the term for it is). They don't squeak and the sofa really doesn't seem to sag so I don't know what other criteria I could use to evaluate the springs. It's just that the sofa is so old it seems like some sort of tune up would be necessary.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leather sofa: reupholster just seat cushions/evaluating sprin

It's possible to do, but to 'restore' this to its original state will cost you more than an all-new piece. At 30 years, you got your money's worth and that sofa is at the end of its useful life for practical purposes. Re-leathering a sofa is not inexpensive to do, and matches to the hides will be very difficult.

o
RE: Leather sofa: reupholster just seat cushions/evaluating sprin

Thanks, collector. I'm not hoping to restore the sofa to its original state but just to make it less unsightly. The plan---well my plan but not DH's---is to refurbish it and move it into his office. Then I'll get a new one for my family room. Anyone who wants to take a nap can snore in the office.

We definitely got our money's worth already but when I was in a very high end furniture store recently looking for a replacement the salesman advised me to hang on to this one even if I completely reupholstered in fabric. In his opinion new sofas were not being made as well as the old ones. Also, DH just won't give it up so I have to do something to make the best of it so I don't go nuts every time I look at it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here