Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nvoneacre

Looking for a sofa w/Crypton fabric. Ideas?

NVoneAcre
18 years ago

Does anyone know of any sofa mfgs who use Crypton upholstery fabric? I'd love something with a chenille feel. This stuff seems to be bullet proof. Has anyone bought a custom sofa w/Crypton? Was it worth the added cost? Thanks..

Comments (64)

• saphire
    18 years ago

Dare I ask how much it added to the price?

I have Five kids of which Two are infants. My last set was destroyed by my kids especially my 3 year old who had a very long potty training period KWIM!

My feeling is to get the cheapest microfiber set I can stand and wait on the better quality until the last Two are 6 or so.

I did look into it briefly and I believe Drexel Heritage will work with Crypton and they carry it. I do not remember the cost, maybe 2500 for a sofa?! I could get an entire decent looking living room set in Microfiber for this amount or less. So it was not appaeling. I am also not in our forever house so who knows what my furniture needs will be so I am not into making an investment. Strangely enough the salesperson really did not push it, she seemed to think I would be better off buying the Guardsman protection package and getting whatever fabric I want, floral, pastel whatever. I guess she gets some type of special commission on the protection thing. Personally with 5 kids I figure I might buy the fabric protection even if I got Crypton since there are bound to be rips etc

Good Luck with the Crypton I am interested

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Saphire, Thanks for your insight. It sounds like you have your hands full. Nice to know that Drexel is willing to put Crypton on a sofa. Just this afternoon I got a call from my salesperson and my Flexsteel, Crypton Suede sofa is in. It will be delivered in a few days. I can report then first hand, as to looks etc. Durability, stain resistant qualities etc will take some time. Someone at ebay is selling some suede Crypton, prices look very reasonable, for the do-it-yourselfers. Keep the comments coming. I'll be reporting again in a few days.

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry Saphire, I didn't answer your first question about price. The total price was $1800 +tax. I was quoted $1500 if I wanted to get my own fabric. Their other fabrics were less expensive but I didn't explore the cost since I was H-bent on Crypton. With two small grandkids I am hoping it will hold up to the spills. More when it arrives.

• saphire
    18 years ago

Here is an irony for you, my parents ordered new white leather furniture a week after my Twins arrived! Plus my sister was pregnant with number 4. So far is ok but they are really protective of the furniture!

Thanks for the INFO. I am considering a Divon Sofa in Microfiber which I can get 4 pieces for 2k plus tax. The flexsteel is appealing especially after I saw the HG show on Crypon but I just do not trust teh kids, its not just the stains on top but hte smells that go through, LOL

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Saphire, I totally understand the kids issues. The Crypton is suppose to be anti-bacterial, and moisture proof. Hospitals & McDonalds use it on their furniture. The cryptonfabric site shows them using it as dogbeds.. They have some test results on their site and it is awesome stuff. I was impressed with the 100,000 double rubs test. A furniture store was bragging about their fabric as being 7,000 double rubs.. Not even close. I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. I'll be interested to hear how the microfiber works for you. If this sofa holds up I may buy a matching (or co-ordinating chair).. It may arrive here as soon as tomorrow evening.. Yeah !

• saphire
    18 years ago

You inspired me to check around for Crypton so on either Cryptons or Thomasvilles web site there is a note, its part of Thomasvilles extreme fabric collection, very high end, saleserson said it could doble the base cost.

So I go to Thomasville yesterday to take advantage of yet another of their sales adn of th 3 salespople sitting in front, no one has a clue what Crypton is except in connection with Superman!

So one salesperson took my umber and will call me when she gets abck on Wednesday

I did see a sofa I loved that was SO comfy but what the point if I there is a risk the monsters will destroy it

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Saphine,
    Your experience mirrors mine. Hang in there - getting a quote on the price doesn't cost anything. Don't be afraid to shop different stores. My sofa is here and in my living room. It is beautiful and so far I love it. The suede is beautiful and not commercial looking. So far the 5 mo old hasn't spitup on it nor has the 6 yr old dropped ice cream, nor me chocolate, so I can't report the easy clean features. The warranty is interesting in that the frame is warranteed for the life of the upholstery :~) Keep me posted on what you learn.

• kksmama
    18 years ago

Update, please? I think I'm gearing up to buy a sectional and need microfiber or crypton or something that will hold up - and I want a very good quality frame and cushions too. I like clean, comtemporary lines - suggestions appreciated!

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi KKsmama - I can honestly say I love what I purchased. The suede Crypton appears very durable and so far has not required anything more that a vacuum to take care of crumbs and lint. We have not had a major spill yet, but I'm confident that when it happens it will wipe up with relative ease. My only complaint is that the cushions are air tight and when we sit, we ever so slowly sink because there are no vent holes. We solved that by unzipping each cushion an inch or so to let the air out. So far so good. Time will tell if we made the right choice but so far I'm happy with the FlexSteel and thrilled with the Crypton. Good Luck with your purchase.. Keep us posted on what you buy... and how you like it.

• kksmama
    18 years ago

Thanks! Who did you buy from, did you see your sofa in person or do it online? I really want a clean-line sectional that is comfortable but not too squishy and has few (or no) loose pillows. Any ideas? I've heard mostly good things about flexsteel and understand they are priced right.

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    18 years ago

kksmama: We bought from an independent Furniture dealer who handles FlexSteel brand. You can likely find a dealer near you by checking the flexsteel.com website. At their website you can configure a sofa in their stock fabrics but I think you must order through a dealer. It would be safest to do a sit test on the exact design you want. They have different cushion options too. We sat on a sofa in the store and liked how it felt and looked so went with that design (South Hampton). My sister has had a FlexSteel for a dozen years and said it's still comfortable, she's pondering having it reupholstered instead of replacing it. It took 8 weeks to have ours made which I didn't think was too bad all considering. Consumer Reports rates them a good value, so they are worth a look but I think any good brand should offer Crypton if that's what you are hoping for. Let us know what you find and decide on. Good Luck.

• saphire
    17 years ago

Just Wondering how you like your sofa? I bought microfiber and have been disappointed but I was not aiming for top of the line

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have to say I love it. Spots wipe up and off easily, and it still looks like new. No sign of wear. I also bought some Crypton fabric at ebay and had some dining chairs upholstered. Again VERY happy with the results. I also note that at the Crypton website they sell furniture now. Prices didn't seem too bad either. Good Luck with your micro-fiber.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crypton Fabric

• saphire
    17 years ago

Thanks for the response

One question, does it resists spots or do they simply clean easily? So far I have not had trouble getting things off but the probem is I no5ticed a large spot just as company was coming in, no time to wait for it to dry so I could not clean it

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Moisture does not soak in so it's easier to wipe off initially. Oily stains are a bit more work. I haven't tried the crypton cleaner. I just use water except for the oily stuff which takes a bit of soap too. I like that it's wearing really well too.
    Good luck with your microfiber.

• sstangler
    17 years ago

I just ordered a sofa through Room and Board that is in Vantage chenille - part of their Advantage fabric line - not Crypton per say but supposedly microfiber. Red wine came right out of the swatch (I actually have more trouble with the adults in my house than the 3 boys) so I am hopeful!

• saphire
    17 years ago

Moisture definetly soaks in, does not sit on top the way I thought it would but it cleans up ok so far, it just gets so many stains I would be trying to get out spots daily so I mostly ignore them

Thanks for the feedback

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just wondered how you all are doing with the microfiber fabric? Has it lived up to expectation? We have had our Crypton covered Flexsteel sofa now for 18 months and I couldn't be more pleased. I discover spots every so often and have taken to using windex and a paper towel. Not sure that's approved but so far seems to work great. It actually still looks brand new. Now I wonder when crypton is coming out with area rugs...?

• ericson
    17 years ago

I would LOVE to see a photo of your sofa. (PLEASE post a photo or consider sending one to me directly)
    I need to replace my terribly worn sofa/loveseat and just haven't been able to spend the $ because I know it will be so abused. My 13 year old son is multi-handicapped (Cerebral Palsy, Blind, Seizures, Profound Mental Delays) - he spends allot of time in the living room playing and scoots around lots - he is able to tall kneel up to the furniture and his goal is to put his mouth on everything!! He can pull himself to stand at the furniture and actually has learned to turn and sit on it so that he can bounce on his bottom. Unfortunately he also spits up VERY frequently (daily +), drools etc as well as is incontinent - the furniture takes a beating - I am so proud of his acomplishments and allow him to use these skills in the comfort of home and figure "It's only furniture". I am intrigued by the Crypton upholstry - it may be just the ticket for us!

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ericson - wow you have your hands full with a lot of challenges. The crypton fabric would be perfect for you. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a photo of our sofa. Ours is a Flexsteel brand with commercial quality suede crypton fabric. It was spendy however at 1800. My sofa is similar in style to the one shown at the attached link except it doesn't have loose back pillows. I am VERY impressed with the fabric. You can buy some at online auctions and try it out. Memory Foam and crypton sounds like a heavenly combination. Ericson : Best of luck with your son.

Here is a link that might be useful: furniture at crypton.com

• Katy
    16 years ago

This company makes sofas with crypton fabrics. For some reason though, the fabric care shows Dry clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duralee sofa fabrics

• clt3
    16 years ago

Any manufacturer that will do a COM (customer's own merchandise) should be able to use crypton. You can now buy it at Joann Fabrics.

• rebeba
    16 years ago

Help, I read on one of these forums of someone that sold Crypton fabrics [I believe they were closeouts] in High Point, N.C. and to tell them Bill told you to call for $2.00 a yd., and they left the store name and telephone number. Well, you guessed it lol, I have mis-placed the info, does anyone remember this info, please let me know. Thanks so much, rebeba

Here is a link that might be useful: That Home Site

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow rebeba, $2/per yd is almost stealing. I didn't see the post but it sounds like a great deal. Probably roll ends or something? Crypton is made in NC somewhere. I bought several pieces at ebay and had some dining chairs upholstered. My crypton sofa is doing great. When it gets spots I try windex first. Sounds weird but it seems to work great. I need to vacuum it good but it looks like new with no upkeep save the few spots that have wiped right off with very little effort. Now I want a rug made of this stuff.. Good luck finding the link.

• perseverator
    16 years ago

The post you're referring to can be found in the link below. Look at the "Best Answer".

Here is a link that might be useful: Closeout Crypton

• profitweb
    15 years ago

I just started reupholstering a sofa in white Crypton fabric. I'm a beginner upholsterer with a standard home sewing machine and I have to say the fabric is extremely easy to work with.

Joanne Fabrics offers a huge line of Crypton fabric in their special order upholstery section. They frequently have 50% off special order fabrics. I think I got my Crypton for around $15 a yard.

The total cost for my Crypton sofa so far is around $365 (used sofa cost $65 via Craisglist, Crypton Fabric $250, plus an additional $50 in cording, zipper foot, thread, needles, etc.). I still need to buy additional padding for the cushions because I want them to be stiffer. I'll post before & after pic's when I'm done.

I have tested it & have been pleased. However, I have to admit as I sew I'm worried about the WHITE fabric I am using. I'm afraid I made a bad choice in using white with 3 cats, 2 kids, & the dirt from country living that will threaten it. If this lasts I will be its biggest fan. nvoneacre, what color fabric is on your sofa? Is it a solid or a pattern?

Someone posted above that their cushions weren't deflating without unzipping them a little. On Crypton's site they say to use a breathable muslin on the zipper side to allow for breathing. It needs to be allowed to breath like leather.

Well, there is no doubt that this fabric is great!!! I'll keep you updated on my experience.

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Profitweb: Can't wait to see your pics. My sofa (a dusty steel blue color in suede)and abt 3 yrs old now. I have to say it still looks brand new. There are NO stains, no rips, etc, even on the arms. The dining chairs I had upholstered in crypton are doing equally well. They are a dark plum color but the g-kids climb all over them and so far NOTHING they've done has required anything more than windex to clean. I'd try a bunch of different stain producing stuff on some scraps of your white. I bet it does well. You can even make your pets their own doggy/cat beds from leftover scraps. So far all I've done for maintenance is vacuum and spot spray & wipe with windex. Leaving the cushions unzipped a bit for air hasn't been an issue. I think I could also add some of those eyelets, I just haven't gotten around to it. I couldn't be more pleased and will bet you have good luck as well.

• juliatallmadge
    15 years ago

anybody know where I can see/feel this fabric in person? I'm in in morris county NJ and it looks like the closest joanne's fabric is way down by Philly! would someone be willing to post some photos of their crypton upholstered furniture? Which fabric line of theirs did you use? I think I'm going to order the 6 samples from Crypton's website, but with shipping it's over $20, so want to make sure that I won't be horribly disappointed. Thanks!

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Juliatallmadge - I bought my sofa w/crypton from a FlexSteel dealer who had sample books. I bought the suede and LOVE it. I've had my FlexSteel Crypton sofa 3 yrs now and I can honestly say it's great. It looks as good as it did the day I bought it. Well not quite, it needs to be vacuumed. No stains nothing that windex hasn't cleaned. Visit a FlexSteel dealer and ask to see their commercial seating fabrics. I'd be happy to try and post a photo or two of my sofa if someone will tell me how to do that. Also check Ebay. I bought some crypton there and the seller might send a freebie (or cheap) sample. Crypton seem to be used alot by the hospitality industry because it is so easy to clean and durable. Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: FlexSteel

• juliatallmadge
    15 years ago

nvoneacre. thanks so much for responding! i will definitely check out the flexsteel site for a dealer in our area, great suggestion. would love to see a photo of your sofa. Here's some directions on how to post (cut/pasted from the kitchen forum). If that's too complicated, maybe you'd be willing to email me a photo? I'm so encouraged to hear that your sofa has been holding up so well...

How do I embed a picture in my post?
    Your picture needs first to live somewhere on the Internet. Then you type the pictureÂs Internet address into your message and the picture appears right in your post in the spot where you typed that address code. HereÂs how to do it - explained step by step for those new to posting. (Quick and dirty version for advanced users to be added soon):

-First get your pictures into the Internet: Photobucket is one free, easy and widely used photo-storing site. There are others but weÂll go with this one. Go to Photobucket.com. and open a free account. Your home page is ÂMy AlbumÂ. There are long blank boxes on the right with Âbrowse buttons next to them. Click on Âbrowse and poke around to find the picture on your hard drive or (connected) camera drive. Click one to select it, and the Âbrowse button is replaced by a red Âremove , and a tiny version of your picture appears to the left. You can give your picture a title in the box if you like. Next click on the Âupload button just below. Site will tell you upload is occuring. Then you should be able to scroll down and see the picture living in your Internet album. Continue to move pictures from your digital camera or from your computer. Each then will have its own Internet address.

-Next resize your picture: This is important etiquette - otherwise your picture will post giant and make people have to scroll to the right to read every line of the thread. Not cool. So be nice and resize your picture first. Above your picture in Photobucket, click on the blue Âedit button. This opens a window with your picture. Above the picture, click on ÂresizeÂ. Select Âwebsize for a regular size and Âmessage board for larger to show more detail. Confirm in the popup warning box. You should see your picture resized.

-Post the picture in your message: Go to your picture in Photobucket. Look on the right for four boxes, each with computer code related to your picture. The third one down is the HTLM tag that looks like >ahref =http Copy that line of code and paste it right into the body of your message on the Forum. Not into the boxes at the bottom, right into the messsage you are typing.
    Check if it worked: Click on the Preview button to see your message. That address code should have been replaced with the actual picture. If the sizing isnÂt right try clicking your Ârefresh button. Sometimes Photobucket is slow. "

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry for the delay, I've been crazy busy. Thanks Julia for the directions to post an image. I've tried to follow your instructions, but I'm not the best in the west at this. If I did things right the photo of my sofa should be here. The pillows are not original. It came with matching pillows but they were way big so I found these on sale somewhere WalMartish.
    {{gwi:1525419}}

• juliatallmadge
    15 years ago

yay! you did it nvoneacre! and thank you so much. i did go the other weekend to one flexsteel dealer in our area but they had never heard of crypton (i got the whole- isn't that superman shpeal which I'm sure you heard too)... they were trying to push some fabric called Kashmira(?) which I just wasn't that into. The owner of the store was not there and the saleswoman said she might know more information.. so I might try back another time.
    I also did a bunch of google searches and found a couple of fabric distributers who only supply to designers/architects and cold called to see if they would send lowly-ol me a couple samples. they did! (though none are really what i was looking for) and pointed me in the direction of an interior design place in my area who can actually buy the fabric/upholstry. so i'm getting warmer... and still working away at finding the perfect stain resistant sofa.
    it's so helpful to see your photo. i'm amazed at how many variations of crypton there are-- it looks like yours is a chenille-like fabric? That's exactly what we're looking for, just in a light cream color....
    anyway thank you so much and i'll continue to post updates about my hunt for the perfect sofa.

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Julia,
    My sofa is suede not chenille. The key to getting crypton fabric on a piece built by Flexsteel is to ask for the Commercial Fabric samples. In fact that might be a good approach with any company. Good luck with your hunt.

• kateskouros
    10 years ago

thanks for reviving this post. i had been looking into crypton fabric years ago -so many, i've forgotten exactly how many! it's good to see it's more readily available as i thought it was a wonderful product. i'm looking into buying a stanford sofa. any idea if they use crypton -or will i need to do a COM?

• DanaCrypton
    10 years ago

I'm not familiar with Stanford.... is it a manufacturer? Or a style? if it's a manufacturer, you'll still need to do a COM as they do not purchase Crypton Home Fabric that I am aware of.

• joseph002
    10 years ago

The sofa is without doubt one of the most important pieces of furniture in the home. Buy a sofa of the wrong size,style or shape and it can completely ruin the whole look of a living room.A good sofa can last years. Buy the right type of sofa and it can act as the centrepiece of your living room, a truly standout feature.Thanks.

• NVoneAcre
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My crypton covered Flexsteel sofa is nearly 8 yrs old. I can honestly say it looks the same as it did the day it was delivered. It does not get heavy use, but the only mal-function was a broken zipper on one of the seat cushions. There are no worn spots. It is blue and I actually clean spots with windex. I've also put the seat cushion covers through the gentle cycle. My only caution is to pick a fabric that you like and a good brand, since you will have this sofa for a very long time. I highly recommend crypton and Flexsteel.

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

To clean Crypton fabric I reccomend a solution of Nuetrogena facial cleanser and water. Gently brushing with a soft brush. Lightly rinse with water and blot. You can also dry with a warm hair dyer in a circular motion.

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

To clean Crypton fabric I reccomend a solution of Nuetrogena facial cleanser and water. Gently brushing with a soft brush. Lightly rinse with water and blot. You can also dry with a warm hair dyer in a circular motion.

• wmsimons85
    7 years ago

I have a fabric sample of a Crypton fabric that is lovely and looks like linen in a sand color. Unfortunately the company that sent it I don't particularly like the sofa!

i am looking for an English arm tight back sofa that looks like the Barclay from Restoration Hardware. Just cheaper and better quality. :) Can anyone recommend a company that has one with a Crypton like fabric that looks like linen? Been looking for ages!!!

• hooked123
    7 years ago

Craftmaster has Revolution fabric which is exactly like Crypton. They do not have any that look like linen, there's looks more like tweed.

• Andrea
    6 years ago

Sounds like Crypton is the way to go against stains and wear. Does anyone have direct experience with how Crypton holds up against animal odor? I have a 60 lbs dog that goes on the furniture.

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    6 years ago

Andrea according to them liquids just bead up & you just wipe away. I don't know if you need to wipe away immediately or if the liquid will stay on the surface for a while but eventually it would probably soak in & once it soaks in there would be odor

• sbzaslow
    6 years ago

I have a sectional sofa with Crypton fabric in color pumice from American Leather. American Leather has the most amazing sofa bed available on the market. If it wasn't for the need of the sofa bed, I would get rid of it immediately! It does resist stains. And is very east to clean off stains from food, wine etc as advertised. BUT and this is s BIG BUT...It holds on to lint, hair, fuzz, animal hair. It looks dirty all thie time. I have to need to use a lint brush on my sofa almost every day. And vacuum with an apholstery attachment It is soft and comfortable to sit on. But, you can not move /slide on the sofa. Meaning you can not slide or move around in order to get comfortable and/or lie down. It is not a smooth fabric. It catches you. Do not recommed for a family room

• PRO
    Crypton
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone and thank you for your interest in Crypton! To learn more about our residential fabric, Crypton Home, visit our product microsite where you can also search for national and local fabric by the yard and furniture retailers.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

This was a wealthy of information. I certainly will be looking into this fabric for my sofas.

Thank you for posting.

• Airillusion
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

sbzaslow, which exact Crypton fabric did you get? I'm different Cryton fabrics have different weaves some of which might hold onto dust and hair more than others, at least that is my hope as I'm looking to get a sofa with Crypton fabric but have dogs that shed a lot. I don't want to be lint rolling all the time. Guess I'll have to her since fabric samples to test.

• HU-881798518
    5 years ago

It looks like this thread was started in 2005. Here I am, 13 years later, trying to find a manufacturer that uses Crypton! I truly wish they put out furniture, ready made, in this fabric so you can just buy it off the floor! But I have't found anywhere that does that yet. Just local places where you can special make furniture using Crypton, Sunbrella, or Revolution (with Crypton being the only anti bacterial option). With kids and pets, to include a little dog who piddles when he gets excited, Crypton is what I'm looking for. Just wish it were easier to find by now. I'm off to Flexsteel's site now thanks to the comments above!

• njmomma
    5 years ago

Check Pottery Barn