Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robdj_gw

Leather/Furniture Buying Strategies and Brands

robdj
15 years ago

I think I'm looking for what most consumers are...a great product at a great value. In particular I'm shopping for leather sofas. I've seen the brands on this forum- Hancock and Moore and LeatherCraft consistently listed as great quality across the board. Here's what I would love from this forum if anyone would be so kind....1. Another brand in the "top" brands category, and 2-3 suggestions in the "mid-brand" category of sofas that are quality, but don't have the fit and finish of the "top" brands. I think Mr. Duane listed B&Y as one?

And, 2. A couple strategies or ideas for getting the best bargain/deal on these pieces. Like...online stores, tent sales, back-room bargains, Memorial Day sale, I think someone mentioned "married pieces"....whatever.

I need 2 sofas I can hang on to for 10-20 yrs, and that will sustain use from a family with 2 little kids. I don't mind paying for quality, just want the most for my money.

Thank you very much for your help,

Rob Jacobson

Comments (7)

• scalelar
    15 years ago

Hi robdj
    I recently purchased a leather sofa and recliner. Like you I was looking for value and something that will last. I settled on the B&Y brand. The Glastonbury 781 in the married program. So far I am very happy with it but it is too early to tell if it will last 20 years.
    Hancock and Moore was in my opinion the best I saw while looking. I only came across 1 LeatherCraft and it was a sectional but it was very nice.(10k) The H&M Austin was close to the price I paid for the BY but the family didn't care for the style.
    Legacy and Hickory Chair(i believe it was HC but my memory isn't so good anymore) were two others in line with the BY price and quality wise.
    As far as buying strategies I'm one who doesn't take up a salesperson's time and go low ball them on the internet. I'm of the opinion if everyone does this there will be no more B&M stores or very few and actually looking at the piece will be impossible. However I'm not going to pay 80% of retail either. I got prices from the internet to give me a starting point then was prepared to ask the store how close they could get. It is worth it to me to give "a little" more to buy locally if possible.(The lack of post-sale headaches) I didn't have too because the local store beat a well known and large internet store.
    sorry if this is rambling. Hope it helps.
    Larry
    Oh yeah you should also check with some of the dealers on this forum to see what they can do. Due to the TOS they can't solicit but you can e-mail them and ask for quotes.

• scalelar
    15 years ago

I checked and it was King Hickory not Hickory Chair. sorry
    Larry

• robdj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This forum has been a great place to learn, and I'm going through the posts from the last several months. I wasn't aware of the issues with solicitation, but emailing some people and requestiong quotes sounds like a great idea. I too believe in supporting people's businesses is a good thing...I certainly don't do my job for free.

In the H&M I found the 4823 Ciara Sofa that I really liked due to the depth. That might be a follow up question...if anyone knows of any models that are "deep" sofas like that?

I saw a Leather Trend sofa at Haverty's that was also very deep and the leather seemed ok, but opinions seem to be that the brand is so-so. The sticker price was $2500, not out of my price range...oh, and I need two of these, but not a good value.

Looking forward to more opinions and thank you very much for the current postings. Back to my furniture homework...

• mccall
    15 years ago

I just purchased a Bradington Young "Monoco" recliner and first I want to thank Duane for the heads up about the price increase on B&Y I was able to get in before the increase on the 19th. Anyway I studied here to learn all I could, then I went out to one of the mentioned shops that specialize in Leather and at 45% off list everyday. I spent an entire day there comparing the B&Y to Classic Leather that they also carry and I went across the street to a store that carried H&M. I honestly could not tell enough difference between B&Y and H&M to warrant twice the price on the H&M. Oh by the way, the Classic Leather seemed not quite as nice good on some pieces as the B&Y but was overall very good. They also had the Ekhornes stressless Which is good quality but too mordern for my style.
    I ended up not buying from Currier's [the place I spent the day] Even though it would have been no sales tax, [in NH]
    I had to compare hide colors with furniture I had on order from LaChance furniture in Gardner MA they also Discount they are one of the Gardner furniture Outlets. Since I have two other pieces on order with them already I ordered the B&Y recliner from them, RUSH and all the furniture will be delivered together.
    Since there are Two such places within a hundred miles of me, I imagine if you look you can find such a place somewhere near you, you don't say where you are. But such a place is a good bet over places that mark up to mark down.

By the way the Classic leather was close to the quality of the B&Y. they also had Ekhornes stressless which is good quality but not my style.

• scalelar
    15 years ago

robdj
    Here is a link I thought might be usefull. Don't know if you found this site yet. I am not promoting this site or testifying as to the accuracy of the information. I will say that Duane said he thought if you switched the Leathercraft and B-Y around it would be fairly accurate.(This should be in a previous post on this forum). I talked with the owner of a store here and he agreed with it except he said Natuzzi would cover the whole spectrum.(He had some natuzzi) It is also worth noting that almost all the brand that get a high price/value ratings are brands these guys carry.

Good luck
    Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: Manufacturers rankings

• cuse69
    15 years ago

robdj

I would suggest you e-mail Duane offline for his input, at dcollie@keepingroom.com. He handles a number of the brands you referenced and can make an excellant, knowledgable comparison.

Cuse"69