Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Should I reupholster my 23 yr. old Ethan Allen sofas?

texasgal47
9 years ago

My matching full size sofa and loveseat are structurally sound, nothing at all loose or wobbley on them. None of the cushions sag except for one back cushion which saw exceptionally hard use by my DH. If I buy new, I want the exact same style and size, but would want all cushions completely redone. The sofas are comfortable but not the most comfortable sofas I have ever had. My Century sofa had natural foam wrapped seat cushions which I dearly loved, and wish to have again, even though expensive. I want a solid or textured fabric in a light color so am interested in Sunbrella or Crypton. I'm wondering if at this age the springs would need to be retied, etc. Anyway, I know there is a great deal or knowledge and experience on the GW forum and would greatly appreciate your advice and feedback. My interior designer has advised that I buy new as she believes no money would be saved going this route.

Comments (2)

• User
    9 years ago

While money wouldn't be saved, you'd end up with a higher quality piece that would provide you with longer wear. New EA stuff isn't of the same quality as your set.

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Live_Wire_Oak,thanks for responding. I certainly value your opinion. I'm well aware that EA sofas today are not at all the same quality and had no intention of ordering from them, but rather from a higher end manufacturer. In fact, when my sofas were new, I was somewhat disappointed with how these cushions sat compared with what I had been accustomed to with my other sofa. I want sofas to last through my retirement years and am willing to pay to get that quality. The concern is that our family lays on these sofas often to watch TV or rest. I already know that the proportions of the loveseat, including the T-seat cushion allows for comfortable leg extension and all the padding on the rolled arm rest works well as a head support. And the dimensions work well in the room even though I have downsized to a smaller home.
    I should add that my ID is self-employed and charges by the hour so it financially makes no difference as far as she is concerned which direction I go. Also, the style I like is frequently available for customization by some of the major sofa manufacturers such as Henredon, Massoud, and Hickory Chair.