Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to identify Duncan Phyfe side table.

Posted by marilyn03 (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 11:39

I have a small round side table with a tilt top. Because of the brass claw feet I have been told it is a Duncan Phyfe. I have tried to find info on this and have found similar pieces, but none with a four leg pedestal. Could you tell me if there are any markings to look for that would confirm it's maker. I know it is at least 50 years old as it was my mother-in-laws, and she had it when my husband was a child.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to identify Duncan Phyfe side table.

Duncan Phyfe was a fine New York Cabinentmaker that made pieces in the early to mid 1800's. Many folks refer to furniture as 'Duncan Phyfe' but it should be called "Sheraton" or even "Directore" for the period.

Have photos? I can probably identify the period style for you. I can pretty much guarantee its not an original Duncan Phyfe! The maker will be not so easy unless there are markings or brands under the top.

o

can you tell me if this is a duncan phyfe tray tables they need refinishing to the top everything seems original on them bought at estate sale for 20.00 for pair thanks

o

Hello I have a Duncan Phyfe coffee table. I have been told that the legs are duncan phyfe but the table top is not has been replace with hardware that is not of that era. Its a beautiful piece. I have no idea what the value of this piece is. Can you help? Thanks

o

Can you tell me if this is a Duncan Phyfe? It was handed down & I doubt it but not sure how to tell?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here