Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is 'golden oak' red, or white, oak?

Posted by egganddart49 (My Page) on
Fri, May 8, 09 at 10:05

My brother has what I think is a Victorian era living room cabinet with a damaged top he'd like me to replace. It might be a reproduction, I haven't seen it. In any case, he's not concerned with maintaining its value, he just wants the color of the new top to match the rest of the cabinet. I need to know whether to use red oak or white oak.

He says it's "golden oak." Would that most likely be red or white oak?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is 'golden oak' red, or white, oak?

Unstained oak with a golden or beige/light brown tone using an oil based finish means white oak. An orange/amber tone means red oak. Again, this is for unstained wood.

White oak generally has softer texture/tighter grain (annual rings closer together) than red oak. Also, white oak lumber is generally more uniform in color (light brown-beige heartwood), whereas red oak has more variation between boards with pink, amber, straw, and light brown tones.

If you can look at the end grain of unfinished wood with a magnifying glass, white oak (Quercus alba) was little plugs in the cells called tyloses, whereas red oak does not. This makes white oak water tight for barrels. This does not apply to the white oaks species from Europe.

For new USA sold furniture, throw all of this information out the window. Rules allow the use of a "golden oak" finish description on any wood you want. Let the Buyer beware!

o
RE: Is 'golden oak' red, or white, oak?

"Golden Oak" could be either - it's commonly used to refer to a color of wood, not a species. It can be hard to tell the difference between the two woods, but if you post a picture, close up and in focus, of the wood I could tell you which it is.

Paul Downs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here