Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katydid30

matte black paint for furniture

katydid30
17 years ago

I am repainting tables and chairs. I"m looking for a matte black look, just like the Broyhill attic heirloom collection. it doesn't even look like there is a clear coat on it.

has anyone done this and can recommend Brand name of matte black paint or the secret to this look?

and matte clear coat?

Comments (7)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Just use an oil based eggshell finish enamel. You will have to steel wool the first couple of coats and that may bring back some of the gloss....but make sure you are very careful with the last finish coat, so you don't have to do any rubbing...
    And keep your paint stirred as you work.
    Linda C

• katydid30
    Original Author
    17 years ago

what does the steel wool do? and why do i have to do it?
    i don't want gloss.
    do i need to put a clear top coat on any of this?

• razorback_rn
    17 years ago

I recently painted some of my furniture pieces black to extend their design life a little longer.

I found that Rustoleum makes a great Satin (that is the name) paint that works very well on furniture. It doesn't have a shine to it but I wouldn't exactly call it flat either. It drives my DH crazy b/c he feels like it should have some sort of shiny finish to it . . . then man has little inagination.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kelleyga
    17 years ago

Razorback-
    I have that exact table and chairs. Can you tell me how many coats of paint you put on it? Did you sand it all first?
    Thanks,
    Kelley

• razorback_rn
    17 years ago

I sanded the table but that was b/c the top was in rough shape from 10 years of abuse. Then I used the roll on type of paint for the table (it comes in quart cans). I used a foam roller which left a smooth as silk finish.

I didn't sand the chairs b/c it would have been a major pain in the rump. Instead I used a liquid deglosser which cleaned the chairs and took off the glossy part of the wood which allowed the finish to have some 'teeth' which would help the spray paint adhere.

What impressed me the most about this paint is that the finish between the quart can and the spray can are exactly the same! It's impossible to tell the difference b/t the two.

I honestly can't say enough good stuff about the paint. I did an armoire last year and it still looks great. The coverage is phenomenal.

I did two or three coats on the pedestal (I can't remember the exact number b/c I did it last year while allowing myself to digest the color a bit before moving on to the chairs). I did put four coats on the table top and skirt though b/c it will get more abuse.

I only put two coats on the chairs. DH thinks that I should put another coat on them but I'm actually kind of hoping that they will age and develop a bit of a patina.

Please don't pay any mind to the condition of the house. We are currently in military housing and will be moving into our new house next month . . . so we've been purging, organizing, etc. I got rid of the rug under the table which has revealed the most terrible govt tile floors that were installed back in the 40s. Yuck!

• kelleyga
    17 years ago

Thanks Razorback! I really appreciate it!

• razorback_rn
    17 years ago

You are very welcome. :) Anytime.