Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelrm68

best sofa brands

michaelrm68
10 years ago

After months of looking pricing shopping etc I've finally narrowed down a couple brands and wondered what everyones opinion was on which is best. Please comment on which of the following you feel is the best value overall. Century, Hickory White, Henredon, Lexington and Drexel Heritage. Also, if there's anyone notable that we've left out. At the moment we're down to 6 specific models and can't figure out which is better. We've also been told that delivery takes anywhere from 6 weeks at one retailer to 3 months at another and wondered why they were so different.

Comments (13)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

I would add Stickley to the mix.

Delivery is determined by your order (custom or not) and the available stock.
    The people I buy from say 8-12 weeks and they are right on the money.

• michaelrm68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input about time to receive things. I'd like to know though if anyone HAD to pick one of these brands which one would you choose or does it even matter?

• kjck
    10 years ago

Most domestic plants quote 6-8 weeks to produce a piece. If the factory's backlog is low they might be quoting 4 plus shipping. Three months probably means a component or the entire piece is coming in from overseas. Century and Hickory White would be the better options.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    10 years ago

Even on these brands your getting plywood frames where all the joints are notched together with some glue and staples. These frames flex, dont support 8-way tied coil springs very well and wont hold up to years of heavy use.

Their nothing close to the solid hardwood frames with double doweled joints that are glued and screwed that these manufacturers use to make.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solid hardwood frame sofas

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

Michael you might also want to look ar Hancock and Moore although it is very costly.

• puppycat
    10 years ago

Look at Braddington Young. They have been in the top 5. The furniture companies you mentioned are not really known for their leather...Hancock Moore is another one rated in the top 5. Classic Leather is awesome...it's one of the top 5 as well. Distinctive Leather is suppose to be top rated, also. Everything else falls beneath these...though American leather may be the other one. I had the list last year but have misplaced it.

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

You can also have a look at Vanguard and Key City in the high end range

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I just got off of Smith Brother's website as that is the furniture I have decided on. Their frames are made of kiln dried hard maple and the legs are built into the frame. I don't know much about furniture construction but that sounds like a good thing in my book. It also says that there is a life time warranty on the foam cores.

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

I've had a Smith Bros couch for probably 8 years (or more). It is solid, sturdy and I love it so much, I bought leather recliners from them 4 years ago. The fabric on my Smith Bros couch does not show wear, but does show dirt. Not the manufacturer's fault, of course. I have washed the cushion covers, arm covers and pillows in the washer many times and they come out great, but the fixed fabric doesn't come out so clean with the steam cleaner attachment. Anyway, the cushions are definitely as firm as day 1 and the quality is stellar. Our leather chairs (made a point to get away from fabric that shows dirt) are amazing! They too are solid and comfortable and well made. I'm very sold on Smith Bros!

• oceanmd
    10 years ago

When I was looking for a new sofa and love seat, I considered all of the above mentioned brands, and tried to learn about them. It was a lengthy process. At the end, we decided to buy Smith Brothers sofa and love seat, and we are very happy about our decision. It is made in the USA, of good quality, big selection of fabric.

• cox880
    10 years ago

I am in the market for a sofa and it needs to support 2 very heavy people...1 is 200+ and the other is almost 400. I was considering Flexsteel but am wondering if kiln dried hardwood would hold up better? Considering the heavy use the sofa will get, what do you recommend?

• whiteycat
    10 years ago

I just want to chime in to say I bought a Smith Brothers couch 4 months ago after reading several threads here about this company! Thanks to all who posted about Smith Brothers! All made in Berne, Indiana. Solid hardwood frames. coils under cushions, beautiful upholstery work. Cushions are awesome also. Love my new couch. :)