Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing a particle board dresser

Posted by michelle_s_phxaz (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 7:39

We have two well used dressers we use as nightstands that the rails that the drawers slide onto the inside wall of the dresser have been used so much that the screws that hold them in have rubbed the particle board away. There is a crater which used to be a screw hole, and the drawers come to a certain point and then angle down. The back and middle screw holes are fine for now, just the front ones broke the wood.

Is there wood putty or a filler I can use to fill these holes then replace the screws and it will hold tightly again? The dressers are in perfect shape otherwise, and I would rather fix them than replace them.

I know this came from putting too much heavy stuff in them, I won't use it for so much once they are fixed!

Let me know if you want pictures, it is in the wee hours and I don't want to wake my sleeping husband to take the pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing a particle board dresser

Several options:

- Look for additional places to attach the screws. Often those metal glides have lots of holes to use for this. If they're wood and not metal, you could glue them to the particle board with carpenter's glue.

- Epoxy putty. QuikWood is one brand in a format that's often called "tootsie rolls" There are two concentric rings.
First, I'd dribble a bit of thin viscosity Super Glue into the crater to strengthen the particle board that's still there. You slice off a bit of the epoxy putty, knead it to an even color, and press into the hole(s). Take a putty knife or old credit card, put on some soapy water and smooth out the putty. After a few minutes, it will start to set up and you can insert your screw in the still-plastic putty. Or you can let it fully harden and drill a pilot hole.

- Both the above.

o
RE: Fixing a particle board dresser

Bob's nephew, I think you may have the solution! Thank you so much, I will work on it this week. The screws are metal so it has a shot!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here