Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old school twin desk set - ideas?

Posted by Vintage101 (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 5:23

Hi.

I'm new to this site and new to the whole redecorating/vintage accessories to the home etc...

I have just bought this old school 'vintage' twin desk and chairs for my son who starts school in September - the desks are very marked with awful graffiti nad it seems alot of work will need to be done to restore to origional look.

I'm basically stuck on what to do - do I sand down, refill holes and paint? How do I paint them? I can't decide if I want to paint them to how they looked origionally (in wood) or to go more vintage/shabby chic by whitewashing??? What would you do? The desk wil be in my sons room which isn't themed at present..

Many thanks and any ideas/suggestions are welcomed x

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old school twin desk set - ideas?

Ask the decorating forum, then woodworking forum for refinishing advice.

And everyone loves pictures... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/decor/

o
RE: Old school twin desk set - ideas?

It sounds like the finish to far gone to restore to a natural wood condition. I think I would strip, sand fill and paint. If the desks are solid wood you could strip down to bare wood and refinish the wood by staining or applying an antique finish. You might even stain the tops and paint the sides and legs with an antique paint and distressed wood finish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here