Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Affordable Bookcases / Bookshelves

Posted by nabq (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 1:41

My Mom just retired and moved from a house with lots of built-in shelving to one with none. She has ninety boxes of books and we need bookcases asap. I've been amazed at how many furniture stores in our area (New Mexico) don't even stock bookshelves at all. We have about five IKEA 6-shelf 79" Billy bookcases in Beech Effect that actually look OK in my Mom's new place, so we'd considered ordering more of them despite the $350 shipping fee, but IKEA has stopped making the Billy in that color. Office Depot carries shelves in a similar color, but the biggest one's are only 5-shelf and appear to be even flimsier than the IKEA ones. Does anyone know of a company that makes decent quality tall, 6-shelf bookcases in that light-oak/light cherry/orangey-tan color? They just have to be IKEA-grade or better. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Affordable Bookcases / Bookshelves

Find out if you have a place that sells unfinished furniture nearby. We got unfinished bookcases and a corner computer desk (solid maple,backs are plywood) and then finished them ourselves with wipe-on poly. Much cheaper than office furniture offerings that weren't even solid wood.

There was another manufacturer that had nice bookcases too, but I don't remember why we liked Woodcraft better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodcraft Industries

o

Cat_mom, what do you think of the Woodcraft quality? I'm thinking of special-ordering a tall cabinet from them - basically, a deep bookcase with doors and drawers.

o

Hey charlikin. They're pretty decent. We were impressed with the quality when we got them (most of the pieces/shelving only needed minimal sanding). We had them replace 3 (out of many) shelves because of defects (on one of the corner shelves, a screw joining the two boards was coming through the shelf, and two small shelves appeared to have been made from an end run of plywood, so the edges were chipping. I did notice that a "brace" or cross board on the desk was installed upside down (!), while I was applying the final coat of poly (don't even ask how I missed that one through all the sandings and the two coats of poly, but it's in the back and not visible unless you crawl under the desk, so not a really big deal.

We got ours from Golden Area Furniture in Middletown, NY (someone I knew had gotten bookcases from them and had wholeheartedly recommended them to me--I would recommend them without hesitation). They were great to work with and very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here