Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Leather Sofa Money Can Buy

Posted by dogpound (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 07 at 22:58

My wife and I are in need of our peers opinions on the best leather sofa manufacture with the most reasonable prices. I know you get what you pay for but certanily I would assume there are manufactures that make great products without breaking the bank if you will. We recently bought a England (laz boy) that literally fell apart within a year so I definately dont want to get burnt again. My resarch has come up with the following ranking:
1. Hancock & Moore
2. Bradenton Young
3. Leathercraft

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Leather Sofa Money Can Buy

I'm a retail dealer for all three of those lines. In my opinion, I rate Hancock & Moore and Leathercraft as equals, both the top of the market.

Bradington-Young is a step down, not in quality of components/materials but in execution of the details in the Art of Upholstery. However, it will be about 10% to 15% less in price as well.

To put it another way, H&M and L/C are built by artisans/craftsmen, whereas BY is built by factory workers.

o

Another vote for H&M - we purchased The chancellor sofa a year ago from local retailer at 50% off - stunning sofa, very well made and the most comfy leather sofa I ever sat on

Here is a link that might be useful: H&M

o

Found a leather sofa at Restoration Hardware. It is 47" deep which is what I want. Has anyone purchased anything from this company? It is quite expensive.

o

I've tried to find prices of Hancock and Moore and can find nothing. And who carries their products?

o

Restoration Hardware leather chairs or sofas in brompton cocoa if you catch them on sale.

o

Having had a sofa/loveseat from Lane for about 8 years, we knew we didn't want that experience again. So we shopped and found a set we liked by Flexsteel. It was more expensive than comparable sets because it was 100% top-grain cowhide. We've this set for 2 years now, and I can say without hesitation that it's the best furniture we've ever owned. And, we've had Ethan Allen and several other big names. Our Flexsteel set cost around $3K for sofa and loveseat. That was about 40% off retail.

o

Probably a naive question, but I'm a willing to look a little naive in order to save money. How do you get 40-50% off Hancock Moore furniture? Or, what makes the dealer offer 40-50% off Hancock Moore? And, is there a best time to be shopping for leather sofas in order to get a good deal? Specific time of year, etc.? Oh, one more thing - is it better to live in specific parts of the country - e.g. North Carolina or the coasts - closer to furniture manufacturers?

o

Duane Collie is the man you need to talk to, he has posted above, and his link in another post on this page as well.

Some of these companies will have some promotions, where they will put out pieces that will come in limited colours, maybe 2 colours, and certain grades of leather (usually not the top grades, probably grades 3, but still good leathers).
I know that both H&M and B-Y have these promotions, but Duane usually has his fingers on the "button" when and how these promotions arise.
Obviously, the closer you live to the manufacturing facilities, the less the shipping will be.

hth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here