Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wipe on Poly

Posted by Rosie025 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 22:50

I recently refinished a piece of furniture and painted it white. I want to put a protective coating on it, but am unsure of what exactly. I am hesitant to use polyurethane in a can because I don't want the brush marks. I think the wipe on poly would be a good choice, but has anyone used this? Does it have a tendency to yellow on white furniture?

Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wipe on Poly

Wipe On Poly (either pre-made or simply diluting your own) is usually described as the closest thing to a fool-proof finish as you can get (as a finish by itself). I might argue that an oil-varnish blend might be even easier.

But yes, oil-based poly will yellow over white and if you are applying it over another finish, like paint, it might not adhere very well.

But all this sort of begs the question. Paint is essentially a clear finish (lacquer, alkyd (oil-based) varnish, or acrylic (water-borne) finish) with pigment added. Why would adding more of the same, without the color, significantly add "protection?"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here