Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me sort out mattress and foundation options

Posted by treasuretheday (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 22:44

Hi, I'm a first-time poster in this forum. I'm usually in the Bath Forum since we're renovating our second bathroom in two years.

We're replacing our king mattress and are currently looking at several options including Simmons True Energy and Serta iComfort. (As an aside, I'd welcome any input on these models.) Since our current bed requires a box spring, am I correct in assuming that we'll need to purchase a new foundation for whatever mattress we buy?

Also, our son has been in the same full size bed since he was three and it's too short so we're going to get him a new queen bed. His current bed is a trundle so there is no box spring. I always assumed that he'd get a box spring but it seems that even many (non-trundle) beds do not need them. I suppose this means that we should decide on the bed first to determine what, if any, foundation is needed(?) Any thoughts as to the pros & cons of going with or without a box spring?

One salesperson told me that they are no longer called box springs but foundations and that the purpose is merely to raise the height of the mattress, not to provide any additional give or support for the mattress. He further said that the same mattress would feel /sleep just as comfortably whether it was on a foundation or a flat platform. Is this really true?

I don't recall spending this much time researching and shopping for mattresses in the past... it seems that much has changed. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me sort out mattress and foundation options

I got a very good mattress from "The clearance zone" i don't think they advertise them but if you inquire they should be able to help. The one i got was meant to be like £1000, i got it for 300 and it had a little muck mark on the side.

o
RE: Please help me sort out mattress and foundation options

I bought a new chiropractic mattress last year that has the separate coils in it with 3 sleeping zones and it's the best mattress I've ever had.
My advice to you is, know what sort of mattress you want and try them out in the store.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here