Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treasuretheday

Please help me sort out mattress and foundation options

treasuretheday
10 years ago

Hi, I'm a first-time poster in this forum. I'm usually in the Bath Forum since we're renovating our second bathroom in two years.

We're replacing our king mattress and are currently looking at several options including Simmons True Energy and Serta iComfort. (As an aside, I'd welcome any input on these models.) Since our current bed requires a box spring, am I correct in assuming that we'll need to purchase a new foundation for whatever mattress we buy?

Also, our son has been in the same full size bed since he was three and it's too short so we're going to get him a new queen bed. His current bed is a trundle so there is no box spring. I always assumed that he'd get a box spring but it seems that even many (non-trundle) beds do not need them. I suppose this means that we should decide on the bed first to determine what, if any, foundation is needed(?) Any thoughts as to the pros & cons of going with or without a box spring?

One salesperson told me that they are no longer called box springs but foundations and that the purpose is merely to raise the height of the mattress, not to provide any additional give or support for the mattress. He further said that the same mattress would feel /sleep just as comfortably whether it was on a foundation or a flat platform. Is this really true?

I don't recall spending this much time researching and shopping for mattresses in the past... it seems that much has changed. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (2)