Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurensmom21_gw

furniture experts: is this an authentic Henredon set?

laurensmom21
14 years ago

I found this set on my local craigslist and am going to look at it tomorrow morning. She stated it was Henredon but when I saw the price she wanted I about fell over - $300 bucks for the whole set (table w/3 leaves plus pads & 8 chairs!) She said it extends to almost 12 ft with the leaves.

I know nothing about furniture, but I've been around this site long enough to know that it should be worth WAY more than that, right? Is there a way to find out when it was made? Any info would be appreciated! TIA!

Comments (5)

• lindac
    14 years ago

I can't imagine how cra99y it would have to be not to be worth easily $300!
    If it's henredon it should say somewhere....but even if it's not it looks like nice quality....you will know more when you see it and sit in the chairs and see if they wiggle etc.
    Linda c

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks Linda! I did buy the set - for $275. I saw a Henredon mark on the bottom of the table and it seems super nice and sturdy (and w/3 leaves). Although it's more like 10 ft than 12, but still much bigger than our current cheapo Target table. 6 of the chairs look great - just need new seat fabric, but 1 chair needs some recaning to the back and 1 of the arm chair's arm is broken and needs reglued. Thanks for the feedback!

• mkthompson
    13 years ago

I probably would have had no doubt that it was what she said--used furniture greatly depreciates in value & maybe she just wanted rid of it.

• simplyjeffff
    13 years ago

Henredon or not, you got a steal at $275.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending upon whether you are selling or buying, furniture goes through a long period of time where it is nothing but "used furniture". It used to be about as long as until it became antique, but the time frame is getting shorter. Some pretty ordinary 30-40 year old furniture is going up in price, because Disco-deco is being used by designers. I think eBay has also raised prices rather than lowered, because of increased exposure.

The real exception to this is bench made or studio furniture, although even that is subject to market whim. A lot of the owners of George Nakashima furniture are dying or moving to nursing facilities so the market is getting saturated.

You got a great deal. The equivalent of $300 when the set was new would not have bought a single chair probably.