Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara9093

Ever hear of Monet Garden Bench?

barbara9093
18 years ago

There's an outdoor bench I've been meaning to get for a while. I saw it in Gardener's Supply catalogue a couple of years ago, and then it made the front cover of the Fall 2005 Garden, Deck and Landscape, (one of those Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications). Now that I'm seriously looking at it, I see that the Gardener's Supply version is a little more cheaply made than another one sold by Ewins. At GS, it's $350, and made of "kapur." The arms are a little boxy and the back is a bit too straight looking.

http://www.gardeners.com/Monet-Garden-Bench/default/35-068.prd

Ewins has them online for $629 made out of real teak. The arms are nicer - more curved - and the back is a bit rolled.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Teak-Outdoor-Washington-Monet-Bench-Patio-Furniture_W0QQitemZ4454086929QQcategoryZ79678QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone know anything about either of these benches? Ever seen the Ewins one? Ever hear of "kapur?" Ever deal with either of these companies?

Thanks -

Barbara

Comments (6)

• lindac
    18 years ago

A "monet bench" means just an open slatted teak bench. What you linked to is pretty non traditional for a "Monet Bench".
    Teak is heavy....never needs finish, gets more silvery and weathered every year and will last just short of forever....but is expensive.
    Here's a link to some very nice cedar benches.
    Linda C

• barbara9093
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the definition, Linda. I was wondering what exactly a "Monet" bench was.
    Your link didn't come through though. Can you send it again?

I found another curved bench, appropriately called a "half-moon" bench, on Amazon.com for even MORE money - $900 - but it looks really nice and SHIPS FREE. Yeah! I only have to spend an extra $560 to get free shipping.

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: Half-moon teak bench

• lizh
    18 years ago

I get teak pieces at a online site called TeakWickerandMore. The prices are pretty good. I am slowly replacing my "imitation teak/tropical hardwood" with the real thing over time.

There is no comparison to the real thing. Worth every penny I think.

• barbara9093
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, lizh. That's a great link. They have the bench I'm looking for also. They call it a "samui" bench. They're asking more for it than the other sites though - $1,200. I think I'll go with the Amazon one for $900 - not too cheap, not too expensive.
    Barbara

• lindac
    18 years ago

Oops! Sorry about that!....
    The benches linked to are not teak....but rather cedar....which likely will last only about 15 to 20 years.....but are a lot cheaper.
    If you are not sure you are going to want that style of bench in your garden in 30 years...I would go for the cedar....but if you are the type that doesn't worry about coming styles and what's "out"....go for the teak!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: bench

• barbara9093
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Lindac -

I actually have the Tidewater Workshop catalog right here - it's one of the ones I've saved for years, waiting for the landscaping to get done. You make a good point about how long we'll want the bench. Actually, this one is going to be put in a spot where it should stay forever, so maybe I'll go for the Teak. It's a curved end of my garden, facing back at the house, and so a curved, really substantial bench should "make" the whole back yard. At least that's the theory.

Barbara