Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wwomant

Leather Sofa & Chair by Coaster

wwomant
15 years ago

I need a new sofa and chair for my family room that will be able to handle the wear that my 2 young boys will give them. I looked at purchasing a quality set, like Bradington & Young, but it's just way out of my price range. Today I found a set that I liked the look and feel of, but want some opinions on how this sofa will hold up for my family.

The dealer near my home has agreed to sell the sofa and chair to me for $849 including tax and shipping.

Here's the info on it:

Wilson by Coaster Sofa

-classic rolled arm frame

-Individually placed decorative nails

-Double stitching

-Kiln dried hardwood frame

-Webbed back

-Sinuous spring base

-Attach seat cushions

-Standard 1.8 density foam

-Polyester fiber fill

-100% genuine Dark Burgundy bonded leather match

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/coast-wil-sofa-set-1.html

Is this a good value, or a sofa that will be trashed in 2 years time, and just a waste of $849?

Do you think this leather can withstand Hotwheels?

I appreciate your opinions!

Comments (4)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    15 years ago

(made in China?) Hardwood frame but no mention of how its put together, should be double-doweled glued and screwed, mostly this set is just stapled or screwed so frame maynot last 2 years. The seat cushion is attached so unable to replace the foam later. Bicast leather is questionable, I seen some thats almost as durable as vinyl and others that the finish comes off under even slight use. You should be able to find a quality made set for less than 2,000 that will last much longer than 2 years even with children.

• wwomant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the input. $1500 is the top of my budget for the pair. Do you think it's realistic to think that I can find a set with top grain leather and double-doweled glued and screwed joints in that price range? And if so, any suggestions on brands and/or places to look?

• casajakada
    15 years ago

For top grain leather, I don't think you could come close to $1500 but you might possibly do it in microfiber. I understand a limited budget, and am sure most of us do, but if you spend $849 now, you'll probably be furniture shopping again in a couple years. It might be better to take your time and really look around. Call different retailers near you.

I don't know what our furniture experts may think but I just saw a set at Macy's that is on sale and very reasonable. There is a lifetime warranty on the frame and springs. It's called the Remo and I bought it to put in my loft as it won't get much use anyway. It is very comfortable and microfibers can't be beat for longevity as long as they are a decent quality microfiber, IMO. It was about $1400 for the sofa and chair, available in standard or custom colors. If you have room, you could get a sofa and loveseat for only $50 more. It has received great ratings from about 4 dozen customers. If you have trouble finding it, just email me or leave me a message here.

Also, don't rule out NC as there are definite deals to be found. If you email Boyle's and tell them what you're looking for, they will also help.

• wwomant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you casajakada. Six years ago when we made our first furniture purchase we made the mistake of buying a very cheap no name twill upholstered sofa and loveseat for $600. Not even sinuous springs, no hardwood frame, everything was cheap, cheap, cheap! For 2 years I was content with it, but at 2 years it wasn't comfortable anymore, and I have had to live with it for 4 more years. So this is not a mistake I want to make again. I want to purchase something that will still be comfy after 2 years. On the other hand, I can't afford more than $1500, which can't get me top quality I know, but I'm hoping it can get me a mid range quality. Leather is not a must, but I sure would like the convenience of being able to just wipe away baby spit up and the like. If we made it six years on a ridiculously cheap sofa, I'm thinking that we could make it considerably longer on a mid range one. But finding that mid range seems to be hard. It's easy to find out what the best it reading online, but harder to find out what's middle quality.

I will check out the set at Macy's, thank you for the suggestion.