Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bebebzzz

Fabric advice

bebebzzz
14 years ago

Hello all,

I've found a sectional that I love (the Clayton Marcus 3814), but do not like any of their fabrics. The store I am working with has offered the option to choose another fabric and have CM make the sofa out of fabric that I provide. Do any of you have any experience with this? Can you tell me how it went? Pros/Cons?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

This is typically called C.O.M. (Customer's Own Material.)

The pricing I've seen when I tried it was that you get charged for the cost of a a medium grade fabric and supply COM at your own cost. Some of the pros and cons? Well cost would be one (you are essentially paying for two sets of fabric). If there is a warranty issue of the fabric, you might get finger pointing to the other guy. And you need to be sure to order enough (sometimes more than enough) so the upholsterer can work around your fabric and potential flaws.

Maybe some of the people here who run retail shops can tell you more inside information.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

bebe ~ We ordered the same sectional from Lauter's in Pennsylvania and are expecting delivery within the next 2-3 weeks (We're in Dutchess County NY). Beautiful choice! We needed a smaller sectional for a limited space so we went with the Left Arm Corner Sofa and the Right Arm Loveseat (total inches in length for both sides is 94").
    I looked through hundreds of fabrics and had a specific color in mind (a deep smoky blue with a bit of slate undertone). I found a chenille in a smoky blue color from the Clayton Marcus selection that I am more than happy with. I do understand your dilemma because I found many lovely fabrics, just not many I would personally choose. The chenille we're going with has a bit of texture to it because we have animals and if one of our cats were to get their claws stuck, it won't show the pull as much as a solid, smooth fabric. It has a very soft and comfortable feel to it
    Considering the cost of upholstery fabrics, I think going the C.O.M route might be more pricey than you'd like. If you're intent on using your own fabric check out fabricguru.com for a wonderful selection of upholstery fabric at reasonable prices. I built an ottoman coffee table for the soon-to-be-here sectional and just ordered a beautiful upholstery fabric for it. I'll use it for accent pillows on the sectional, as well. I've been ordering from them for quite a few years and they're a dream to deal with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric Guru