Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying advice -- American Leather/Lee

Posted by snorpagirl (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 17:52

Hi,
The forums here have really helped me focus on brands of sectional sofas that would work in our house. If we can find a decent price, we'll go with American Leather. Lee is our backup.

We live in Ohio -- nowhere near American Leather's Texas outlet, or the NC furniture discounters. And because we're caring for elderly parents in our home right now, we can't travel for awhile.

Three questions:
a)Does anyone have any suggestions on price negotiations? I'd like some base line pricing before I start negotiating (like with a new car), so I have a target in mind. I hate going in blind.

b)Does American Leather (and/or Lee) dictate when dealers have sales...or are the sales launched by furniture store owners themselves?

c)Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with online shopping at sectionalsofascentral.com? Prices online are for fabric, not leather. And the company says on its website it can no longer sell American Leather to people outside of California after mid-June.

If anyone has stumbled across any great deals on other well-made sectionals lately, please let me know. We're looking for a mid/smallish sectional (maybe a couch with chaise) in distressed leather.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying advice -- American Leather/Lee

Eight years ago we bought an American leather sofa from a store in Austin Texas still love the sofa and is holding up well. We lived in Houston and the dealer in Houston was way to high so we identified what we wanted and contacted some other stores - got the best deal and they shipped the sofa to us from American leather in Dallas. We never went to the store in Austin and it was a great experience.

o

snorpagirl I am not familiar with the store you have mentioned but both of these companies produce a well tailored solid product. I don't think you could go wrong in either case.

o

Snorpgirl regarding your questions.

Reagarding pricing there are some restrictions on advertised pricing by manufacturer called MAP "minimum advertised pricing" but any retialer is free to sell a product for whatever price they would like due to restraint of trade regulations. Manufacturers will try to pressure retailers to hold prices and threaten to take away their franchise if their violate their pricing policies but in the end it's up to the retailer. My advice is shop around and do some negotiating.

I don't think either manufacturer will tell a retailer when to have a sale but some manufacturers will have discount periods such as 5% or 10% off in June etc. which a retailer can take advantage of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here