Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinion on fabric (pics)

Posted by dorry2 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 17:15

I really need to make a decision on sofa fabric for a summer home. I posted a while ago with fabrics that the sales rep talked me out off and saying, down the road, the fabrics will not wear well, one will pill and get fuzzy, blah, blah, blah! This is a Broyhill fabric since I do not want to go high-end for a summer place. The thought is in a few years, I will retire this sofa to the loft upstairs.

The second photo is a truer representation of the fabric. It is a nice weight -do you think this is a good choice for a sofa? This is a summer home that will not be used heavily and no small children, just a few young mid-20's adults! The rep said it will show water marks. I am not that concerned and have never spilled anything on our home sofa. I am going back and forth trying to decide on a fabric. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinion on fabric (pics)

I forgot to add, the fabric is 100% cotton. Thanks, all!

o

If no pets, your probably be fine with this fabric as a medium to light weight cotton, looks similar to the Covington Pebbletex or Kavastex.

o

Light weight fabric for furniture is the one that I usually support.

o

Most 100% cotton fabrics do not show water marks but if this does it would concern me as it would be very difficult to keep clean. I might ask for a large swatch and experiment on it or ask if you can call the mill for more information.

o

How much is that one? Are you choosing it based on cost? I think you can probably find something a little higher end and spend less. Almost all furniture manufacturers doing custom sofas allow C.O.M. (where you buy the fabric) There are a lot of amazing fabric places and a green is EASY! I think this one has the look that it might get wrinkly and wear a bit more than something woven (even if its rarely in use).

o

You should looked for a fabric that has been pre-washed prior to being upholstered. If you really want it to be washable there are some fabrics that have been prewashed twice.

o

You might want to consider a slipcovered sofa for a summer home like you described. The fabric you have chosen would be perfect for a slipcover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here