Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socal2004

Lexington Furniture Company in Lexington, KY

socal2004
19 years ago

I am planning on ordering several pieces of Hancock and Moore leather furniture and have been gathering pricing info from many of the NC companies. Elite beats all the rest, but I have received the lowest quote from Lexington Furniture Company in Lexington,Kentucky. Has anyone ordered from them? I would be interested in knowing any info you might have regarding this company. Thanks

Comments (67)

• summertime
    19 years ago

Yeah, I noticed that 350 lb thing, good thing the sofa is 300 lbs.

Like I'm going to put my 130 lbs to work hoisting that sofa on my back and trouncing up the driveway! Good grief.

The other time I ordered from NC several years ago we had a whole room delivered at once, including a sofa of about the same size. The guys just took their time. I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted me 'helping' them. Too funny!

• cheerit
    19 years ago

Summertime, You are incredible! I just priced the two Journey sofas in a class III leather and Angela gave me by far the lowest price (by almost $500 EACH). I cannot believe that the prices are so much higher here in NC! I am going to order them this week from Angela.

Thanks so much for the info. I love this forum!!

• cheerit
    19 years ago

Summertime - DH is concerned about the large discount we will be getting from Lexington, KY. So, I was just wondering if you have received your couches and what your experience was like. Are you satisfied with the couches?

Thanks!
    Julie

• cheerit
    19 years ago

I looked Lexington Furniture up on the BBB and they have been members since Oct. 1995 in good standing. I also called Hancock and Moore directly and they said that Lexington Furniture in KY was an EXCELLENT furniture store. So, I am sold! Now, I just have to wait until August 1 to see if they have the 5% price reduction and I will be good!

• leslie1
    19 years ago

OK, Priced my sofa at Boyles, and Lexington. Boyles has free shipping until tomorrow,so prices are the same. However, I am not rushed for decision if I go with Lexington. Interested in Bradington Young. Should I go with Lexington or Boyles?

• smamidipaka
    19 years ago

I am so glad to find this posting that matched the furniture I want to order and the company that I want to order it from. We(myself, wife and two kids)visted the Lexington Furniture a month ago and we drove from Detroit. We spent two full days there with Madison and Larry(one of the owners) and they are very nice to us and they also picked up our hotel bill(Marriot Courtyard).

They highly recommend Hancock and Moore for leather and their prices are the best compare to N.C.

I am getting ready to order Somerset sofas(#s 1441 & 1442) with Antelope Harness(Grade 3 leather) with Province finish. I wish I could see this sofa with same finish some where other than the picture. Any of you has any experience with this or seen the sofa? Thanks,

• angelawhitehorn
    19 years ago

cheerit, what is this 5% price reduction of which you speak? we are getting ready to order almost $7000 worth of H&M, so my ears perked up when you mentioned a price reduction...

• Marijka
    19 years ago

For all of those getting H&M sofas - did anyone actually have a chance to compare ultradown to spring down cushions? I am trying to make a decision, but cannot find examples of spring down. Is it a better system than ultra?
    Also about leathers -
    It's too bad that H&M changed a number of classes in their married and signature programs... I just LOVE the Equestrian leather (lev 3) - but it is nearly 800. - 900. more than a Cavalier... and the Document leather (in Signature) is also quite a bit more -even though both Cavalier and Document are normally level 2. I might end up with Cavalier Henna just because of the price...

• darenka
    19 years ago

Angel--In the past, H&M offered a 5% discount to dealers 2x a year on the regular program--not the married and signature programs. If they are keeping to schedule and still doing it, it should be either in August or Sept. I've been meaning to call some dealers and ask, but I haven't done it yet.

Marijka, I don't think any are 'better' than the others, it's personal preference. To me, the spring down feels a bit firmer or more supportive than the ultradown. I've heard rumors (but cannot verify) that you can feel the springs 5-10 years down the road. Jimmy Moore told me that they had had VERY few returns on them so it cannot be a common problem. After much hemming and hawing, I finally decided on the Qualux. I just hate the butt prints that get left on the down cushions and I couldn't get the spring rumor out of my mind. Jimmy told me all his furniture is in Qualux, but do what your butt tells you. All the cushions do 'recover' their natural shape--it's just a matter of time.

• Marijka
    19 years ago

Thanks for your input, Darenka. I tried the standard Qualux a while back. but do not remember them now. Most recently, I tried the ultradown, and they were very comfortable. I also like the "puffy" effect of the cushions. I just don't know if ultradown backs will be the best option...

• NoleFan
    19 years ago

I've been reading these posts for a while and have finally decided to purchase a Hancock and Moore sofa (the Austin with the leather Antelope Saddle finish). Does anyone have any thoughts on this sofa or the leather (good quality)? It will be the first furniture purchase that my wife and I will make together. We're afraid of making the wrong decision.
    We're probably going to purchase through Lexington Furniture. I've been working with Angela, and she seems GREAT!
    I've read their reviews before, but for one last time, has anyone had a negative experience with them or with shipping? Also, can anyone explain what the married and signature programs for Hancock and Moore?

• summertime
    19 years ago

Well, I just want to add that I did receive my H&M Sinclair sofa last week and it's AWESOME. I keep falling asleep on it.

Lexington was great! Highly reco'd. The shippers they used, D&D Distributors, were very careful. Not so much as an indent on the leather, but they did show up 7 hours late. They couldn't find anything, poor guys, they kept calling me on their cell phone and seemed completely baffled by the most simple directions. The really *authentic* southern accents didn't help matters! It was all I could do to not laugh when the driver said (in all earnestness) 'there are no signs here, and all the streets are named the samed thing'. Now I realize that makes no sense on several levels, but having been new to this area once as well, I recognize the frustration.

Anyway, I highly reco'd Angela and Lexington and D&D.

Great experience!

• cheerit
    19 years ago

No 5% off on the quick ship leather. So, I ordered mine and hope they are here by Christmas!

Those accents aren't "southern", they are KY Hillbilly. I can say that b/c I am from KY (just over an hour from Lexington) and it is thick. My husband still cannot understand my mother some times and my grandfather at all. I now live in NC and have been nowhere where the accent is as bad as in Ky! Boy, I shur do miss it sometimes. I can't wait to meet the delivery guys - it will sound like home to me! LOL! (Oh, and of course I will be estatic that my couches will be here!!!).

Good luck to all. I am glad to hear about a happy customer. I hope I love my couches as much!

• summertime
    19 years ago

Okay, I agree KY and WV have...ahem....challenging linguistics. But to get specific, D&D Distributors, the delivery company Lexington contracted with to deliver my sofa are based in North Carolina. I believe the way it works is this: Lexington takes the order and sends it in to H&M's factory in NC. When the factory finishes, it's sent to a NC warehouse for Lexington, but is NOT shipped to KY. The warehouse is simply a holding area. It's unclear how much inspection is done. But once the second installment of payment is made, Lexington's NC warehouse 'releases' the product to D&D's warehouse in NC. When a truck is ready to go, D&D ships it to you.

I suspect Lexington's warehouse IS D&D's warehouse. I think this because I mistakenly 'waited' two weeks to make the final payment for my sofa - while we were on holiday. The day I called them to tell them I had sent the check they said they would 'release' the sofa to D&D. Well, D&D called less than 24 hours later and told me they had the sofa. If it's not the same building, it's awfully close.

BTW, I was very happy with this arrangement. A little less transporting is a good thing and D&D was quite consciencious.

• pbjmom
    19 years ago

I finally got around to pricing things outside of my town. I asked for a quote from Lexington for a Hekman coffee table. I got an email from "madison" and they were 40% below my local furniture store! I couldn't believe it. That is quite a savings, as Hekman was my top priced choice for my living room. I still have the problem that I've never seen the table in person, though. And I wouldn't be guaranteed to see it if I actually went there, right?
    This is difficult. LOL

• jenn
    19 years ago

Is it possible to "test drive" (sit on) this furniture locally? We will not buy a sofa without sitting in it first because support and comfort is of primary importance to us (along with good construction and overall quality, etc.)

I went to the H&M web site but didn't see anything pointing to dealers.

Jen

• angelawhitehorn
    19 years ago

jenn, there are h&m dealers all over the US. you should be able to find someone local that carries it. i am in alabama, and we drove to birmingham to try the stuff--well worth the drive.

we fell in love with a club chair, and we saved more than $1000 ordering from lexington furniture. look at H&M's guestbook (linked below) and they will send you a list of dealers in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: H&M Guestbook

• debra sansone
    19 years ago

am interested in purchasing a city sofa in cavalier from a local store in the area. They are selling it for 2499.00 is that a good deal compared to lexington? We will be going to actually sit on it next week. Is this one of the sofas that are good for short people like me?

• debra sansone
    19 years ago

I am planning on purchasing a city sofa in cavalier from a local store. the price is $2499, how does that compare to lexington? Will this sofa accomodate short people well?
    rabbit12
    shsansone@aol.com

• bkcfamily1
    19 years ago

I think you could probably do alot better than that. Try Lexington and Elite Interiors (in Myrtle Beach, SC 843-449-3588)

I just received my H&M Journey Sofa & Loveseat from Elite a couple of weeks ago, and I am very happy with the whole experience.

• debra sansone
    19 years ago

Thank you for responding to my e-mail. I called lexington and their price is $1100.00 cheaper!! Thats another chair. I have not checked Elite as of yet but thanks again.

• NoleFan
    19 years ago

Just received a message from Travis at Lexington Furniture. He says that my sofa's ready for delivery. Should arrive in the next 2-3 weeks! I hope it's worth the wait. Has anyone else received their order, yet?

• angelawhitehorn
    19 years ago

i only just approved my leather swatch last week ;-( at lest three more months' waiting time in store for me.

• leeleet
    19 years ago

I am very interested in the Hancock and Moore City Sofa. I have been looking the Dark Blue Cavalier. Has anyone purchased this sofa? I am concerned that the Dark Blue will look black. Also, I have only sat on the ultra down which seems very comfortable. Is the ultra down the best option?

• cheerit
    19 years ago

I got them!! I got them!! After MONTHS of waiting I finally got my two H&M Journey sofas! Lexington was great, Angela was great! It only took about two months after my cut for approval to get them. They are beautiful and D&D did a good job of getting them in the house unharmed. I was worried about that too b/c they are huge! However, I wasn't thrilled with D&D. They told me delivery would be between 8am and 10am so I rearranged car pool and all morning activites. At 10:30 when they still had not arrived I called them and they told me I had been rescheduled to between 4 and 7pm. "Didn't anyone call you?" NO! The delivery boys hit my garage door opener (on top of garage) with the crate and now my door won't open. I didn't discover this until after they left. I called D&D and complained. They said they would get back to me but I haven't heard anything still two days later. Not the best customer service in my opinion.

Now here is the real question. When we first got the sofas they were "plumped" to the max. (We have ultra down seats and back). Very tight feeling to sit on. Already in two days they have really loosened and softened up. Is anyone familiar with this and if so, how long will it be before they are "broken in". We sat on the Journey at the Hickory Furniture Mart. It was dreamy soft but had been sat on by probably about 1000 people! BTW, it did not have the "down spots" that everyone is asking about. Looked great but very, very soft. In case no one gets down this thread this far I am going to post this leather question. I have never had leather couches so am very curious.

Later!

• pdm6288
    19 years ago

Summertime, thanks for the Lexington recommendation. Now that Boyles is collecting tax for NY, I checked with Angela at Lexington for the table I am interested in. Their price is the same as Boyles, $13 more for shipping, and no tax. I told Angela I had gotten her name from you (didn't refer to you as summertime, though; she wouldn't have understood that!)Thanks, again!

• Ariadni6
    18 years ago

Would those of you who purchased sofas from Lex. mind telling me what you got and what you paid? I am wondering if the prices differ for out-of-state customers versus KY residents? Thanks.

• angelawhitehorn
    18 years ago

ariadni, we bought two crenshaw chairs and an ottoman (style #1991 & 1992). total for the three including shipping was a few dollars more than $3K.

cheerit, our experience with D&D was as you described, and worse. they rescheduled 4 times--all of them "no-shows" with a random call hours--or in one case days--after we expected them to arrive. i called their office and demanded that our delivery be comped, as the service was unacceptable. i shouldn't have to rearrange my day EVERY DAY FOR A WEEK because they can't get their act together. I called Lexington to complain, since the customer service rep @ D&D was largely unresponsive and unhelpful. D&D delivered the furniture the evening of the afternoon that i called lexington to complain.

I recommend that if you had problems with D&D you should call Lexington and let them know. You and I are only one person and D&D could care less about us, but Lexington represents a lot of business for them, and their weight may get you a more favorable response.

The chairs are beautiful. I would order from Lexington again, but I might try to secure a different delivery company.

angela w.

• detram
    18 years ago

Well,

We are placing our order Saturday for the Paris bedroom set (Bernhardt) I am so excited. Thanks for talking about Lexington! The price is 10,000 less (including shipping) then our local Drexal Hertiage store.

• joynserf
    18 years ago

Received the call from Travis about our sofa being ready. It's been a year due to us rejecting two leather samples. Now I'm excited again but a little worry about the delivery due to some people's experience. Can't wait to get my Big City sofa, chair and ottoman! I sure hope I still love it after all this time. We shall see ...

• Boopadaboo
    18 years ago

Any update from the people that ordered the leather sofas by Hancock and Moore? I am getting ready to order the journey sofa. DH thought that it was very supportive to the back - but reading some of these posts makes me think that might not last too long. I really like down but I wonder if I should skip it. I also sat in a southwood sofa that we both loved - dH thought it wasn't supportive enough, but if the other one is going to get less supportive over time, then maybe I should just go with the southwood. It is a lot less expensive than the southwood.

• pdm6288
    18 years ago

Received delivery of my table yesterday; in good condition. When D&D originally called me they told me I would owe $150 for delivery. I had been told by Angela that there was no delivery charge. D&D told me to call Lexington which I did; and Angela took care of it. D&D called me to say they could deliver my piece a day early since they were in my area. They came in 20 minutes, but had to unload half the truck to get to my piece. They were parked on my street with all this unloaded furniture on the street; it looked pretty comical. I guess my neighbors thought I hit lotto and was furnishing my entire house. The truck made it difficult for traffic to pass by including a few school busses. My daughter's tutor had to leave out of a side gate, which we don't use, to get to her next student because the driveway was blocked for an hour. We were lucky to live on a corner. Apparently, a customer further out east on Long Island did not want their order delivered at a late hour so they had to move that order and several others to get to mine since they were delivering out of sequence.

• galaxy04
    18 years ago

I just rec'd my H&M Journey sofa. It is awesome! Lexington handled everything from start to finish very professionally. They used 'Sun Delivery' who also gave us regular updates and showed up on time. I will definitely go back to these guys for any future purchase.

• michelle2006
    17 years ago

Can someone PLEASE give me the number to D & D. I ordered furniture through Best Value Furniture, but D&D is to deliver it. The VP of BVF said that D&D will call me this week...never received a call. It's going on 6 weeks and I'm starting to freak out. Everythings paid for and I was starting to wonder if I couldn't trust BVF...it looks like D&D's fault. Again, If anyone can give me the number to D&D I would really apperciate it.

Thanks a bunch!

• ktee
    17 years ago

I lived in Lexington, Ky for a couple years and bought furniture often at Lexington Furniture Company. They were knowledgeable and reputable and carried quality furniture.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I got very good price quotes today from Lexington Furniture and spoke with Pat Rotchey. I forgot to ask her what the shipping was and will tomorrow when I call back.

Is Lexington Furniture Company still wonderful to order from despite being out of state for me since I live in NJ? The posts on this are from 2004, 2005 & 2006 and now we are in 2007 with over half the year gone.

What would happen if the pieces came damaged or mismatched?

Would the delivery men carry furniture upstairs to my bedroom on the second floor?

• dallasjustice
    16 years ago

I cannot recommend Lexington. I ordered a Hancock and Moore Sofa and a recliner. The recliner was ordered incorrectly by Angela. I had to wait 7 months for the furniture to arrive and when it did, I noticed that Angela had not ordered the leather stitching correctly. I brought it their attention at delivery. Angela said it was my fault and that I should have told her about the stitching, which I did. Lexington did not correct the order and would not allow me to send the recliner back.

You may get a better price from Lexington than you would from Boyles, but you get what you pay for.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Thanks dallasjustic for letting us know about your bad experience with Lexington Furniture Company. I am glad I went with a local store that is a little less than 1 hour from me called Flemington Department Store. The Durham Furniture was ready in 6 weeks as promised and the delivery guys were wonderful. I love my Durham Furniture more and more for the quality (solid maple Wood), the beautiful shutter doors on my Armoire and the nice antique white color. I got a very good price that was only a little more than the Lexington Furniture Company's quote due to sales tax that I am required to pay on purchases or as a use tax. Hence, If I paid the use tax on the Lexington Furniture, then their price would have been more and I would have had to pay a lot up front and the balance with a money order or certified check. I got to pay all of my purchase on a credit card which I prefer in case there are problems.

Sorry about your problems. Again thanks for sharing and warning others.

• zippydacat_247
    16 years ago

I have been reading this post for a number of years, I have ordered many things from Lexington Furniture, specifically Angela because she was recommended by everybody on here. Every time I have ordered with her, she had me fill out the order form and fax it to her because she cannot take responsibility if I order something wrong. At first I was a little put off by this process, but over the years I can see why they do this and it helps me make sure I am ordering exactly what I want. Dallasjustice if you put the stitching that you thought you were getting on your order form, then Lexington Furniture does have to take care of the problem. If you didn't put it on the order form, then it is not their responsibility. I have a couple of end tables in the wrong finish because I left off the finish that I wanted on my order form and I didn't catch it on my order confirmation, but it was my fault (which my wife reminds me of all the time!) not Angela's. So I guess this is something everybody needs to be aware of, make sure you double check your order form or you could be out of luck.

• playfish
    16 years ago

Does Lexington Furniture have a showroom that you can visit?

• jyyanks
    16 years ago

No. They are an online retailer. Basically they fax you a form, you fill it out, they order the furniture for you. You have to know the make, model and color of what you want.

There is also a furniture manufacturer called Lexington but this thread refers to the online retailer.

• dcollie
    16 years ago

They have GOT to have a showroom to get those lines they carry, especially one like Hancock & Moore. Furniture manufacturers are not going to set up someone with an on-line presence only as that would be nothing more than license to steal sales from stocking brick and mortar dealers.

Duane Collie

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    16 years ago

They have a store off of New Circle Road and Richmond Road in Lexington.

• zippydacat
    16 years ago

They do have a really nice showroom, my wife and I have visited a number of times. They have directions on their website www.lexfurniture.com. Well worth the trip, although they don't always have what you are looking for on the floor at the time, they have all the books to look through.

• playfish
    16 years ago

Thanks! I'm going to drive down for a visit this weekend. :-)

• garyts
    16 years ago

Hello!
    I have two Handcock and Moore sofas exact model is: 1724 Journey and two sets of 1722 Journey chairs and ottomans.

http://hancockandmoore.com/product.asp?productid=859
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/product.asp?productid=856

Bought them all at Boyles three years ago. Perfect condition, just like new!! I need to sell them ASAP. Let me know if anyone is interested.

• pluckymama
    16 years ago

Garyts,
    Might be interested in 1 sofa and 1 journey chair and ottoman. You can pm me at rotate@comcast.net with details about price, which leather you have and shipping details.

• heitzy
    15 years ago

Garyts, I too may be interested in sofa and chair (s). Please send details and pics to caheitzenrater@wmconnect.com. I would like some idea of shipping costs also if you know that. I'm in SC.

• Golfergal216
    last year

I know this is an old post but it still pops up when searching for buying furniture. I just got back from Furnitureland South. I basically knew what I wanted and went with the intention of getting best pricing and ordering. I have ordered furniture from FLS 3 times over past 20 years and had great experiences and received lower prices than I could find anywhere else. While researching buying furniture this time, Lexington Furniture Company located in Lexington, KY popped up with good reviews and comments. I had them price the same King Hickory sectional and ottoman and they were MUCH LOWER (including taxes and delivery). I also wanted Zimmerman Chairs and reached out to Zimmerman for local distributor and was given Cherry House Furniture Galleries in La Grange KY. Zimmerman said they would give me good prices and they did via submitting info via their website. The side chair, FLS price $1036 and Cherry House price $751.50. The arm chair, FLS price $1199 and Cherry House $870. When purchasing 6 side and 2 arm chairs, I am saving $2506.90 on the chairs. Anyone looking to purchase furniture and live anywhere in USA, try these 2 stores. I know for a fact the Lexington Furniture Company in Lexington, KY does sell to customers all over. FLS does have unbelievable resources on site and phenomenal showrooms, but pricing is not what it used to me based on my recent experience. Good luck furniture and shopping and buying.

• angielaplantejohnson
    2 months ago

Careful people Lexington is poor quality! Research reviews, wish we had!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource